Question about changing my Gamertag...

Hi, I recently changed my Gamertag to GuardianPH0ENIX, but kind of regret it as there is already another user with a similar name with one of the differences being that I use a zero inplace of the O in Phoenix and i'd rather avoid any complaints from the other user that mine is too similar or something.

My question is, would changing my Gamertag to one that includes to word "Oni" be a violation of Gamertag code of conduct? Oni is a Japanese word that roughly translates to mean "Demon, Ogre, etc." and the word is also used in a few other languages as a name meaning "Born in a holy place". I intend for mine to refer to the Japanese one, but I thought i'd ask before changing just to make sure it didn't violate any code of conduct rules regarding religion or anything.

Thanks in advance for answers. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Changing it to "Oni" won't violate the Terms of Use.  The problem you'll have is the fact that the name "Oni" is already taken http://live.xbox.com/en-AU/MyXbox/Profile?Gamertag=Oni

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Well, Oni would only be part of the name. The full name I intend to use is not taken according to a check I did.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just be aware that Zune and Games for Windows Live use the same gamer tag system so if the name you want is unavailable it may be due to it being in use on one of those services.

Sorry this didn't help.

And also please don't start the usual post when you find out it is taken:  "I want to change my tag to (?) but it says it is taken.  But I have looked it up on (some site) and it not!"  Because it does you no good.  If you should get that dreaded message, please just make up another!

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="GuardianPH0ENIX"]The full name I intend to use is not taken according to a check I did. [/quote]

The only true check is trying to change your gamertag to the one you want. Most people don't check for versions with different spacing: you are "GuardianPH0ENIX", so I couldn't be "Guardian PH0ENIX" because it differs only by a space. But most "checks" would say that the second one wasn't taken.

I don't think using "oni" in a gamertag will be religiously offensive to anybody. A lot of people will probably think you're referencing the Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) from the Halo games.

Sorry this didn't help.