Question about a second account.

I bought the Xbox Kinect package for a discount but I am paying more for Xbox live. My son and I play online together using my account with him using a guest account. I want to get him his own account,but ado not know if I can upgrade my XML account to a family account. I don't mind getting him a desperate account, but can two separate accounts play on the same Xbox and split screen on the same TV? Thanks for any assistance.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Also to upgrade your account to family you will need to sign into your xbox.

from the dashboard

1. go to settings, by scrolling to the right using the d-pad or the right bumper button.

2. choose account.

3. scroll right once to Your Memberships.

4. choose xbox live gold.

5. choose modify membership

6.select Gold Family and it will prompt you from there how to purchase. 

:)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

yes they can but for very few games. some halo games, minecraft if you have High def tv and HDMI cable. and some other titles.

barely any titles lets you splitscreen from the same xbox and enjoy the live service of playing with other people. for most common games 2 consoles is needed to play with 2 people in the same household.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, he has a free account but can not use it on XBL. I do not have the option to upgrade my account to family, so I will need to pay for a second account for him to be able to get achievements, level up etc on his own account. The only question I have is does anyone know if two separate accounts can plan on the same Xbox and split screen together?

Sorry this didn't help.

To upgrade to what exactly, family plan?

Family plan is 99$ but allows 4 gamertags to be attached for 1 year access to xbox, if it is only 2 of you it will be a waste unless you have any friends you will want to add. I would suggest creating him a free account first and try it out.

If it goes the way yuou want then in the future you can upgrade him to gold or you both to the family plan with ease.

if you would like to create an account for him more simply using your xbox. please turn it, assuming it automatically logs yourself in please sign out by

1. pressing xbox guide button "the big x button in middle of controller"

2. press "X" to sign out

3. select yes

Now you will want to choose create profile, select the hard drive or memory device to save it to, then proceed with following the prompts to creating your sons account.

This account will start as a Microsoft free account until you add gold to it, wether that be individual gold or if you yourself upgrade to family plan then add him as a family member.

Sorry this didn't help.

I took a look on my account but did not see anywhere to upgrade. I thought I'd ask before I added or upgraded. We do play a number of games together, BLOPs2, Minecraft, Borderlands, etc.

Sorry this didn't help.

Very few games let you splitscreen online together, if you are just playing offline any game that supports local multiplayer will be available to you.

your son can have is own free account that requires no money involved to be able to play offline multiplayer with you wether it be kinect games or minecraft.

to create a free account you can go here >live.xbox.com/.../BeginFlow.ashx

Also anytime you want after creating an account for your son you can upgrade him to gold if you feel this is what you want. you can do this by logging into his account and navigating to this link here> http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/Join/

If you have any other questions feel free to ask  best of luck and have a great time gaming with your son! :)  

-Listed

Sorry this didn't help.

I know on some games, such as minecraft, that you can split screen with two accounts. My son and I can do this and we do not have a family account, just two individual accounts. I am also sure you can upgrade your individual account to a family account. I was able to find this for you as well: 

Xbox.com steps: Convert your membership on Xbox.com

1. Go to My Account.
  2. Under Membership & Content, click Upgrade/Manage Account
    Note If you are not signed in, you will be prompted for your Microsoft account (formerly "Windows Live ID"). Type the Microsoft account information for the Xbox LIVE account that you want to be the primary account holder for your Gold Family membership (an adult account). 
  3. Select Gold Family (where available), and then click Next.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to convert your membership to a Gold Family Pack membership.

Sorry this didn't help.