Question about 4 gigabyte console hard drive upgrade

I recently bought the Xbox 360 Slim hard drive (250 gigabytes) and I am wondering if the 4 gigabyte hard drive is removable and just have only the 250 gigabyte hard drive without opening the console? Also, did they already release the 320 gigabyte hard drive?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 17 Applies to:

The 4GB of internal flash memory is built into the 360's motherboard and can not be removed.  The 320GB hard drive isn't availabe on it's own yet, but I'm sure it will be soon.

Sorry to bring this old thread up, but I just got a 4GB slim at Christmas. If I buy the 320GB drive, do I need to remove anything? Or is it as simple as sliding the new one in?

[quote user="iSRS2273"]

Sorry to bring this old thread up, but I just got a 4GB slim at Christmas. If I buy the 320GB drive, do I need to remove anything? Or is it as simple as sliding the new one in?[/quote]

There is nothing to remove. The 4GB is flash memory and is integrated into your consoles motherboard.  Simply remove the panel where the hard drive goes on your console, insert the 320GB, replace the panel and you're good to go.

Thanks! Went right in. Much better than the external USB I had hooked up that was limited to 16GB.

Obsessive Power you were right most of the way but your information on the 4gb chip was not accurate it is indeed removable if you want it removed but i don't see why you would anyways its like a daughterboard its a little chip that is connected to the motherboard though a pin header and can be taken off easily but do it carefully. P.S rate this info please

If you have an HD installed does the internal flash memory become invisible? As in it does not show up in the storage settings? Just curious.

It is still visable. Now it shows Hard Drive and Memory. plus the cloud.

I recently plugged in a 250gb HD, and "Moved" everything from the old 4Gb drive to the new one. All games ask you to select where to load from, and where to save to, also profile were moved and all work just fine.

Now.... what to do with all this space :)-

I remember plugging my 250GB HD into where my 4GB used to be and it's really easy. And there is definitely plenty of space for you to do whatever you want! :)

whare your 4gb use to be? that must be older consols, the new consol has nothing in the bay, its empty, the 4gb is a chip on a small board. I think the consols are called 360 slim now