Quertion about Hard drive Transfer

I got a quick question about hard drive transfers, my old 360 starting acting up so tonight I went and bought a new Xbox 360 Premium with a 120gb hard drive. I still have my old transfer cable but every time I connect my old hard drive and my new one it will read one but not the other, and it reads my new one as a usb hard drive. I looked through the xbox.com transfer document and it reads a screen should pop up when you connect the two but nothing pop up's and on the memory screen it reads 2 devices but only one shows up as a 360 hard drive.

I was wondering what I could do to transfer the two and if I needed to buy a new transfer kit.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

Hey Rodimus.

Is it an official MS transfer cable?, if not you may need to buy one of those.

Here is a guide on how to transfer content between consoles.
If the Transfer cable does not work you can always move your profile and saves to a USB flash drive then move that to your new HDD.

Then just use your download history to re download all your content to the new HDD, this link also contains a link to the DRM tool which you will need to use to transfer your game licences.

EDIT: Possible issue.

I just noticed you mentioned its a premium console, did you buy it new?. If not someone may have formatted the HDD and that would explain why it only reads as a 16GB device.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yea it was one I bought when I got my 60gb hdd.and yea it might have been formatted any idea on how to get it to work? It was used a used one but the company just had it refrubed from ms.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Rodimus.

If memory serves there is nothing you can do if the HDD has been partitioned off as it basically turns in into a 16GB device. But please do not take that as gospel right now as I am not 100%.
I have sent an enquiry off to someone who will know for sure, and as soon as I hear from them I will let you know here.
In the meantime someone else may reply with a definite answer for you.

I just wanted to let you know I had seen your reply and your problem had not been forgotten about.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not sure how old your transfer cable is but if memory serves the old ones only allowed one transfer.

Sorry this didn't help.

The cable is from about 2007-2008 and that could be the problem, and yea I am taking the hdd back to the store today to get a new one then ordering a transfer kit off amazon.

Sorry this didn't help.

Make sure the transfer kit you're ordering is an official Microsoft transfer kit.  Third party transfer kits have a nasty habit of frying the new hard drive and they aren't covered under the Microsoft warranty.  Even if someone says it's official just a little tidbit to know - while transferring data, if the screen pops up with something to the effect of "you need to reformat the hard drive to continue" you know it's not an official kit and you should stop immediately.

Sorry this didn't help.

Keep in mind if you can start your old system up, you can transfer your game saves by using a USB drive, and transfer content license to your new machine www.xbox.com/.../Home then Que your download history to download to your new system.

Sorry this didn't help.

The official transfer kits that came with the 120Gb & 250Gb drives both included a disk to be run as part of the transfer. Also (something that I found whilst attempting to run a transfer myself), remember that the transfer cable will need to be connected to the USB socket on the back of the XBOX rather than the sockets on the front.

Sorry this didn't help.