Purchased gold membership but can't play

Hi - my son's free membership expired today so we went online and I purchased him the Gold membership and paid for the month. When he goes to play a game on xbox live multiplayer on live he gets a box that comes up that says something like - The current profile is not allowed to play on xbox live. Doesn't xbox live gold get you into the same stuff as the free? Please help - a very sad boy.

Question Info

Last updated November 19, 2018 Views 20,368 Applies to:

When you buy gold on the website vs. on the console, there is a delay that can last a few hours before it shows up on the console. To speed up the process you can either test your connection or recover the account.

16 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello there! Yes a Gold Membership gets you all the benefits of a Free membership and more. Typically that error means that it just hasn't updated on the console yet. I would suggest having your son sign out of his profile, wait about a minute, and then sign back into his profile.

If it is still being difficult, then I would possibly see about doing the Xbox LIVE Connection Test which will force information along. To reach that, follow these steps.

1. Go to MY XBOX, from there click all the way to the right to SYSTEM SETTINGS. Once in there select NETWORK SETTINGS.

2. Now select your network, whether WIRED or WIRELESS and then at the next screen select the 'Xbox LIVE Connection Test' and say YES to the prompt about signing out (If it comes up).

3. Once this completes try signing into his profile again.

If that doesn't work then try to recover the Gamertag again. To do this, have your son sign out of his account and then go to the sign in menu. In the sign in menu there should be an option for RECOVER GAMERTAG and you will want to have him enter the Windows Live ID (The email) and the password.

17 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem but on Xbox one

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Please do not bump old threads. It's best if you create a new thread and detail the issues you are having.

Sorry this didn't help.