PSU annoying sound

Dear xbox support,

I bought a new xbox360 today and the PSU is making a really annoying loud sound, I can even hear it in the next rooms.

If I squeeze it gently, the sound gets a little  quieter.

I compared it to the xbox360 slim PSU of a friend and his PSU is a lot more quite, a big difference.

This problem started right at the first time I switched on the console.

- I already tried connecting it directly to a power outlet

- Its standing in the correct position in a well ventilated area

So my PSU fan is obviously broken.

Xbox 360 S 250gb / European (german) model, bundle with darksiders, batman and 2 controllers

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hi there - try blowing/using compressed air on your powerbrick to clean out any dust that may have entered into the unit. However, do not try to repair or open up your powerbrick, as it can give a powerful electric shock even when unplugged. If the following does not work, as it is a new console, take it back as there is clearly some kind of fault with your power unit. You could also request a repair for the PSU here for free, as you are under warranty: support.xbox.com/.../repair-process

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, it does sound like there is something up with the fan.  The Fan on my Xbox 360 Slim used to do the exact same thing. Although oddly enough it no longer makes any noise now (touch wood).

Mine made a buzzing noise.  placing the brick on its side used to stop the problem.  Later on, I used to pick up the brick and give it a few sharp taps and the noise would stop.  This used to work every time for the duration of play, but would start again the next day.  But now mine doesn't do it now.  It's very strange.

You have two choices. Either contact support to get your PSU replaced, or take/send your machine back to where you purchased it for a new one.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.