Proxy Hell and Xbox One aka Boat anchor

HI all

SO basicly i am at a remote site, we have internet as slow as it may be and we got a new xbox one a few games and all the goodies, opened the box and set it up only to find we actually have a Microsoft wheel chock!

It needs to connect to the net, simple enough but there is no place to enter a proxy server details. I spent 2 hours with live support with no outcome, our network operates from behind a proxy so nothing we do will work, tried shareing an internet connection through a computer, no luck tried every combination of dns, ip and subnet, no go even our coms and network techs have now given up!

Is there some how in some crazy way some ability to enter a proxy server into the xbox one? Its quiet stupid that there inst even a place to put a proxy server info into.

If anyone can help please contact me

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 283 Applies to:

i think when i get home in 8 months given all the hell its taken to get no ware with this xbox im jumping ship to sony, no one can help me, no work around and no way out of the fact that a console just cant be set up unless its on the internet that dose not have a proxy in the way, The simplest way to fix this is a tiny bit of coding that allows proxy sever settings to be entered into the setup in an update just like a Ps3 or Ps4 allows....but no an expensive waste of time is what we have and no one can do a dam thing about it.  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Have you tried to use an alternative MAC address, with the use of your PC's MAC address on your network for your console, to pass-thru/spoof its address?

Sorry this didn't help.

yes, we must have spent at least 20 hours now *** with it and the end result is an xbox that wont work and is stuck at the set up screen. There is no way around it, without a place to input a proxy server it just wont work.

I just cant believe there isnt a way to put in a proxy server

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you have anywhere else that you can connect the Xbox One into the internet to allow setup then relocate it to where it is to be used?

Sorry this didn't help.

nope one connection in via satellite and the link to the satellite is through the proxy. its a small remote station, 18ppl of a winter 90ppl of a summer.

Only way we can see it ever working is if there were a way to enter a proxy in and there isnt a place to do that.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have a similar issue with a few Xbox Ones (and PS4s) in an environment with a transparent proxy that requires authentication. Long story short, neither console can correctly deal with proxies and particularly fall down when authentication is required.

A simple work around is to have a computer that is connected/authenticated and tunnel that connection to the Xbox. Most OSs these days have the ability to easily set up Internet Sharing that will enable a lot of this, though a bit of thought may need to go into creating a tunnel or two to make sure that it gets a connection through the proxy from the computer. Works pretty well for me here and with the tunnel rules that I have set up it even keeps the NAT working so online play works well.

Sorry this didn't help.

nDabK we did try internet shareing but with no luck, It always fails when it comes to connecting to the internet.

I will see what i can come up with in regards to tunneling

Sorry this didn't help.

We had some issues with this, the easiest thing to do was set up a portable hotspot via an Android device and connect to it from the XBox One, worked like a dream!

Hope proxy support will come soon!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there DatacomPayroll!

Thank you for stepping in and helping out! Since this thread is kind of old, I would recommend going through more current threads and offer help to your fellow gamers. We super appreciate it! :D

Sorry this didn't help.