Proofs and nonsense.

Dear Xbox and Microsoft lords, 

I have had an xbox 360 for quite a while now. I've been fairly happy with it. But lately, the security nonsense is out of control. I'm not really sure what this 'proof' stuff is, but it's, frankly obtrusive, demanding, and obnoxious. See, I get that you want to keep us secure. I get that it's also there to save your ***. I get that. I support it! I understand how this type of business works. My problem is that when I sit down to play a game (with what I'm sure you understand for folks is becoming less and less time available) the last thing I want to do is fumble around for a half hour figuring out my email password for an email that I never use so you can text or phone me a code so I can enter it so you can determine it's me. I only assume that you know it's me at this point because a criminal wouldn't go through this torture...it's just not worth it.

Yes, in the grand scheme of things this is a small problem...but it's frustrating. This has interrupted me a couple of times in the last month! I'm not kidding. That, is by any standard, excessive. Matter of fact, I should NEVER have to do this. If I've been using it this whole time, there is no reason for the xbox hive mind to feel that I might be some kind of criminal stealing my identity...or WHATEVER they want to do. (Is there some kind of epidemic of crooks stealing xbox sign ins so they can get more achievements? I'm confused).

Anyway, I would like to know why this is happening to me, ever...or at least more than once. 

As I said, I've been pretty happy until all of this has happened, but now I'm seriously thinking of just switching completely over to my ps3, cancelling my xbox live annoyance, and not even CONSIDERING an xbox one as a purchase in the future...not to mention my influence with MANY other potential buyers. 

I don't mean to sound like a horrid person (though I probably am), I just want to know WHY this happens, and I want it to stop. 

Please! HAAAAALP!!!

Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Have no fear I am here!! Look  let me first tell you...you are NOT alone!! This is actually a good thing for everyone. This update was a little weird, I know, but its just this one time. So yes you are going to waste a few minutes of your time but after you do that you will no longer have these weird error messages.

On xbox.com

Go to my account. Go down to where it says Microsoft Account Security Proofs.

There you maay have to sign in again. Then it will take you to the profile.

1. Change Password ( I know it sucks but its for your own good)

2.Update email

3. Add number.

4.Trust a PC

5.Add a security proof question. or two

After doing this click save.

NOW GO TO THE XBOX CONSOLE.

On dashboard go to settings>storage>profiles> click on the profile>delete>delete PROFILE ONLY

(do not fear this will not erase any information except profile.

Now go back and make sure the profile is deleted from the account. If it is go to hard drive (you can just go back a few times)

Highlight the hard drive. Press Y. Click on clear system cache. DO THIS 10 TIMES!!! BACK TO BACK! VERY IMPORTANT!! (the reason they do this

is because the console needs to be reset. I dont know why its just not once but its what happens.)

After this is done turn off the console for 45 secs. Turn back on and with your new password download the profile again. This will get you back up and running....

...and look at the brightside you will NEVER have to do this again....I am here if you need me.

-Goddess of Luv

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I hope this works for you!!  ^^^^

Sorry this didn't help.

I haven't run into this myself, but it sounds like something is going funky with Two-step/two-factor authentication. Your console really shouldn't make you verify stuff every time you log in, unless you're downloading on a new xbox. It may be a corrupted profile, so some of Goddess's steps would be applicable for that.

~

If it's two-step gone funky, just try signing in at http://account.live.com/proofs and try turning it off. If it only shows you the option to turn two-step ON, try turning it on then back off. My sister had a problem with her Windows Phone that required she do that because it was stuck thinking two-step was on when it was off.

~

It's also important to make sure you have two security "proofs" on your account - something that lets you prove it's really you accessing, resetting or whatever. This should just need to be a combination of a phone number, email, and/or security question. I have one phone number, my work email, a private email, and a security question just to be safe.

~

If making those changes online didn't work, trying the delete profile only (because really, do you want to delete items and lose all your save games? No, not really). Once the profile has been deleted, clearing the Marketplace System Data (Storage > System Items > Marketplace System Data), which acts like a cache for the Market (you will NOT lose content by deleting it), and then clearing cache. There is really no point in doing it more than once, but some people feel better if they do it multiple times. In over a year on the forums, I've never seen it be suggested to do more than 3 times.

-Something you can do before clearing the cache is reseating the hard drive. If you boot your console up with the hard drive removed, it's supposed to make the system reset the reader. It usually helps with corrupted profile/data and has been used as a troubleshooting step for some real tricky issues over the years.

- To reseat the hard drive just turn it off, remove the hard drive, boot up the console - it'll tell you to update. You can ignore that and turn it back off, then put the hard drive back on and boot up as normal. If you haven't cleared the cache yet, do it here and then try redownloading your profile.

~

Best of luck!

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had the same issue. For those saying it's for our own good, for security & such, I must point out that it can be circumvented by simply hitting the guide button. This will sign out your profile. Sign in again & it'll do so normally. This isn't as aggravating as the whole security code thing, but it sucks nonetheless. I live alone, so unless someone breaks in & steals my 360, there's no chance of anyone else using it. Why can't LIVE just check my gamertag against my console's ID to prove it's me?

Sorry this didn't help.

Srivra I want to warn you that THAT work around is simply accessing the grace period for this. In short time you WILL be required to follow through and update this very valuable tool.

For the rest of those complaining or speculating how important it is, let me remind you that while this is just a game your RL information is there and has been vulnerable to thieves and hackers.  YES, WierdScotty they WILL spend the time to do this because it is not your games nor your profile they want it is your RL information so they can commit ID Theft; it is your CC number so they can run your bill beyond limits and leave you stuck, maybe it is someone just wanting to be malicious and steal the account to mess with you.  Whatever it is, it is a reality and, as a survivor of such a situation can assure you that you do not want to deal with it!

PS for those thinking that they will put fraudulent info on the account, well your call but trust me it is highly likely you will forget or misplace the info and could lose your account access and all the games, time and money you have put into it.  JS

Sorry this didn't help.