Promoting an account from child status

Greetings all.

I would like  some help promoting my account to "adult" status.

I made the account many years ago and have since turned 19, but there's a problem. The adult's account I paired with mine has since passed away, and as such I cannot use his account to OK my own.  I'm at a loss as to what to do. Any help would be much appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 37 Applies to:

Hey there,

Promote a child account to an adult account in Xbox

Xbox LIVE determines whether an account is a child account or an adult account based on the age of the account owner. Account owners who are younger than 18 are given child accounts in the United States. The legal adult age varies by country and region (for example, the adult age in Korea is 20).

-

After you reach the age of adulthood (which varies by country and region), you can promote a child account to an adult account. This promotion removes the Family Settings and Xbox LIVE restrictions.

-

To promote a child account to an adult account

• Sign in to Xbox LIVE by using the account that you want to change.
  • Go to Settings, and then select Account.
  • Select Promote Child Account.
  • -
  • Note: This option is available only if the date of birth for the account indicates that you have reached the age of adulthood (18 in the United States). The legal adult age varies by country and region. The age of an account owner is calculated by using the date of birth provided when the account was created. This date cannot be changed. If you entered an incorrect date of birth when you created the account, your only option is to create a new account using the correct date of birth.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to promote the account.

-

Note: If you want to control the console itself - for example, to limit the amount of time the console can be used on a daily basis, or limit the content types that can be viewed on the console - please see Xbox 360 console parental controls. To learn about ESRB Ratings and safe gaming tips, please see GetGameSmart.com.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

i also have the same problem but i cant even get onto xbox live to promote my account because the terms of use have been updated recently and i cant accept them without the adult accounts password...

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you know the Parental email address? If so, reset its password at account.live.com/password/reset or at http://account.live.com/acsr if the first website does not allow you to reset it.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm in the same boat as Foxy552 here, and have been getting the runaround from Support for weeks now trying to reset the parent account password. Since the parent account's email ceased to exist years ago, I can't provide the answers to many of the questions in the forms Vibroplex links to, and thus get sent back into the runaround. After my last support call that lasted nearly two hours, I was told that the only options were to submit the form again (which will surely prove as fruitless as all the rest) or to create a new account, with a different gamertag, no achievements or friends list. Is there anything else I can possibly do to keep this account?

Sorry this didn't help.

Then, once you have FAILED at http://account.live.com/acsr you can call Support with the reference number which Microsoft Accounts provided and they can submit a different reset request.

Sorry this didn't help.

Vibroplex,

I appreciate the response, but as I said, I've been through that loop already, and am repeatedly told I need to provide more information - in spite of providing everything I can that they've asked for already. While on the phone, I was told that I'd need the password associated with the parental account in order to do anything with it. Funny when we're discussing resetting the password in the first place...

Sorry this didn't help.

Ask them to submit a UE form.

Sorry this didn't help.