Profile problems with USB drive....

Ok I have a USB dive that I have used for around 3 - 6 months now.  I have always just loaded my profile on whatever console when I get to where ever I am going so if I go to a friends house I automatically load my profile on their xbox and when I leave I transfer it back to the USB dive.  (currently my firend has my HDD for a game that he is playing so I have had to play off my USB for a day or two now...)

I have it partitioned for xbox use for 2.5 gigs and the rest for regular use even though there is usually very little on it if anything.   Recently I have been having a problem.

Every time I transfer my profile off my xbox the gamer profile instantly corrupts and then I have to recover my gamertag.  This has also made a problem because 1 time it signed in and then corrupted so now a couple of my achievements are out of order (I have had this happen on like Civilization Revolution) and I do not want xbox to GS reset me because the gamertag glitched.

What happened was I was playing offline since I hadn't gotten my router yet and my computer was uploading files to my website and was going through Dante Must Die difficulty on DMC4 and finishing the other difficulties with S ranks.....  I had gotten all the missions done on every difficulty up to S ranks and connected my xbox up so I could connect to xbox live.  It said there was a problem which my modem does have a problem swapping electronics and I have to reboot it and do a connection test on the xbox for it to connect the first time.

I do this and when it says the connection is good I proceed to try and sign in and the gamertag says it is corrupted again so I recover.  I notice that my acheivements were what they were before I got the acheivements an hour or two prior on DMC4.  I went to go play bloody palace because I didn't want to play the story anymore and cleared it after a couple hours....  (at this point have connected to xbox live once but storm came so internet went out....)

So now I decided to do some red orb mining since I used holy waters and health items on the hell or hell mode and dante must die mode and I like to have full stock in items...   When I exited out of the game it gave me the acheivements that I lost except for a couple which were play specific missions like mission 11 and mission 20 on certain difficulties.....

So my first question is what is the deal with my USB always corrupting my gamertag (I also have reformatted it and reconfigured for xbox.... still no change)

and my second question is do I need to contact XBL and have them adjust my acheivements so that I dont get banned because my gamertag glitched.....

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

The obvious thing to try would be to try another USB stick and see if the problem continues. If it does not then you know your old USB stick was the problem.

However it is worth pointing out that If a console is banned, or flagged to be banned, any data written on it will show as corrupt on 'clean' consoles. So if you are using your profile on a console that is set for a ban, that could explain the continual corruption.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Well I talked to xbox and they promised me that my xbox and profile would not be banned from an achievement being unlocked out of order if it was a legitimate glitch.  I also tried later today using the same usb drive and now it works.....

Kinda puzzles me.....

Sorry this didn't help.

So a couple things.

A local gamertag gets flagged as corrupted if it's been recovered at another console. If you haven't already, I recommend you set a password on your gamertag to prevent others from recovering it.

A gamertag and save game files are also corrupted by banned XBOX consoles. You'll find out if your console is banned once you reconnect it to The Internet. You won't be able to sign into live with it.

By the way, you're posting from two different gamertags...

Sorry this didn't help.

Profiles and saves are also corrupted on consoles that have been flagged for a ban but are at that point in time still capable of connecting to Live.

Sorry this didn't help.