profile not fully loaded & unable to download

Hi all. I've had this problem every so often from about Nov, however in the last month it has escalated such that now I am unable to connect to Live at all due to profile-related issues. A description of my problem goes like this:

When I first turn my console on, it takes an unusually long amount of time to get to the main logo, and between 2 and 5 minutes to get to the profiles. I turned off auto log in a while back in the hope of fixing this. My profile is not visible in its entirety. One or more of avatar, gamerscore, gamerpic is missing - it's usually the avatar that is blank.

Selecting my profile leads to 2-10 minutes of attempting before I am asked to download an update, usually after checking network status. This download attempt nearly always reaches about a third or half way of the progress bar before failing. The response: "Can't download the update. To test your connection... Status Code 3F4B - 0000 - 3080 - 0506 - D000 - 016B". I have then tried to download my profile which leads me to checking network status, which sometimes fails but most of the time progresses to the point where I am again downloading an update and receiving the identical error message. Many times I've skipped the attempt to log in and go straight to the download profile option, with the exact same results.

After checking a few of the forum queries recently, I tried clearing the cache and also tried the delete-and-download-the-last-system-update trick. This didn't solve the problem and I would end up going through the same process with the same results.

Early on when this was happening, it might have taken one or two attempts to go through this before the download completes, and takes me to the the email address and password section of the profile download process, and eventually succeed in retrieving my profile completely. It would then be a month or so before the issue reappeared. Worryingly now though, the last time I successfully downloaded my profile, about ten days ago, the very next day it was back to the same problem and I've many unsuccessful attempts since.

Typically I am spending anywhere between 1 - 3 hours, attempting this process seven, eight or ten times before cursing and giving up. This may give you and idea about the delay between screens that my consoles often takes. Needless to say it's incredibly frustrating, so any help offered would be welcome.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 70 Applies to:

Hey there Cat,

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your account. I can definitely understand how that could be frustrating.

A couple of things to try that may help us better understand where the error is:

• Can you log in with a different profile on your console?
  • Have you tried starting the console with the hard drive removed?
  • Are you able to try downloading your profile onto a different console or maybe a USB drive?

I would also give these steps a try:

1. Turn off your console.
  2. Remove all console storage devices, including any USB flash drives, external hard drives or the internal hard drive on the Xbox 360 E console or Xbox 360 S console. Learn how to remove the hard drive.
  3. Add your primary storage device, for example, the hard drive.
  4. Turn on the console
  5. Try updating the console again.

Please let us know how that all goes and we'll work from there.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Fizz. Thanks for the quick response.

I have a couple of guest profiles for mates. The avatars created for them are also blank (ghosts, outlines, whatever) so I suspect it would be the same issue. I'll have a try though and see what transpires.

I have turned the console off and removed the HDD, before doing a quick check and inserting it. This hasn't lead to any improvement.

I haven't tried starting the console with the console removed, or downloading my profile onto a USB drive. I'll give both of these things a go too.

Sorry this didn't help.

So I tried starting without the HDD, but as I'd previously deleted an update and hadn't successfully re-installed it, that was required first. So with the use of a 4gb flash drive U updated my system, downloaded my profile and all looks good. Although I guess that means the HDD is dodgy.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Cat!

Thanks for doing that experiment for us!

Since it updated and seems to be working without issue with your hard drive removed and using a USB drive, it definitely looks like your hard drive is on it's way out.

At this point, I suggest getting a new hard drive (make sure it's an official Microsoft hard drive or else you could run into issues with it not lasting as long and not being able to play original Xbox games). If you'd like to, you can also use a hard drive transfer cable to try to preserve some of your old games saves and such from your old hard drive. It's possible that the cable might not work (since your hard drive appears to be on it's way out), but since it still reads to some degree I would think it should work enough to let you transfer your data off of it, should you wish.

I hope that helps! ^_^

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks guys. I'll see if I can get a hold of one and hopefully be able to transfer data.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sure thing Cat,

Glad we could get that figured out.

Happy Gaming! 

Sorry this didn't help.