** PROFILE CORRUPTIONS, Installed games unreadable - HELP! **

Hi all,

I have an xbox 360 slim that is about a year and a half old. In January of this year I went onto my xbox after a month without playing it. As I signed into the new dashboard the white wheel froze and unfroze until eventually it told me I could not sign in.

I could however be seen on xbox live by my friends.

Following this I went into the storage devices and noticed that my gamer profile was corrupted? - I thought it best to move everything off the harddrive and reformat it. Following this long and boring process I managed to get back on.

I re-installed MW3 to my harddrive as it was set up before and in the first game I received a 'disc is unreadable' error message whilst playing. I have been unable to play it off the hard drive since.

Again recently I have booted up my console and been unable to download a recent update, and again have a corrupted gamer file...

I don't want to go forking out for a new hard drive if it won't actually help the problem, although I reckon there is probably something wrong with it. - Has anyone encountered this before or have any help for me?

Thanks in advance!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 21 Applies to:

People encountering problems like this left right and centre, but sounds like in your case it'd be a faulty hard drive. Sounds like you need to replace it, MS will send you a free one if it's still under warrenty.

On a side note, the disc read problem people having quite recently, no idea. I have this problem now and I can't play any games what so ever but DVD's will play (although freeze and image be distorted)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Remove the hard drive and test the console with a USB drive.

If the problem goes away you know the hard drive is the problem and needs to be replaced.

You can also try to clear the cache on the hard drive to see if this corrects the problem.

support.xbox.com/.../clear-system-cache

Sorry this didn't help.

Just something I wanted to add: Even when a game is installed, it reads the disc to ensure you have the game in the drive. Failure to read the disc will pop up the Unreadable Disc error. It's the disc you have, not the installed game having a problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="GreatCornholio1"]I thought it best to move everything off the harddrive and reformat it.[/quote]This does not accomplish anything. Modern HDDs have sophisticated error correction system that are completely beyond a conventional format's ability to interfeer with. If the drive's having read/write problems, it's the drive and not the partitioning/formatting that are the problem.[quote user="xTye"]It's the disc you have, not the installed game having a problem.[/quote]Games do not know the difference between the HDD and the ODD. Installed game disc read errors can be later games with randomly activated copy protection or HDD issues.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been having nothing but problems installing new games to my HD. My old ones work just fine, but the last 4 new games I bought-Mass Effect 3, MW3, Skyrim and Gears 3 all will not install. Keeps telling me I have a dirty or scratched disc. The platters are brand new outta the box! Sometimes if I'm feeling persistant I'll keep trying till it gets to 100%, (MW3 took 7 trys), the game will boot up and it still gives me the 'dirty/scratched' message.

Sorry this didn't help.

My xbox console which is 4 years old has been having a few problems with my new games. the newest game I have that are WORKING, is call of duty black ops 2 and the games that are new that are not working, are  Hitman Absolution where when it loads it freezes and the screen goes multicoulered and this was when i first played it. Assasins Creed 3 says it is unreadable even though it is brand new and this was when I first played. FIFA 13 works great but when I'm in the middle of a match it suddenly pops up saying it  is unreadable and this was when I first played a match. The games that are faulty work perfectly fine on someone elses console but not on mine. I have cleared the cache but the same problem is still happening. I hope you can solve any of these issues.The disc drive has been well cleaned and has no fluff or dust on the lens, (it looked really clean anyway before It was cleaned as a precaution).

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Ezzer! For our best help please create a new thread here detailing your issue and any steps you have already tried. We'll be happy to assist you there, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

if you are not on for a long time you need to delete and reenstall profile.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a problem with one of my online profiles. The profile doesn't show up on Xbox guide sign in and when I go into storage it tells me this 'Corrupted profile' with mi gamer picture still their, it has not be code of conducted and am real annoyed by it.

Sorry this didn't help.

PatrioticCat0- Please start a thread of your own detailing the issues you are experiencing.  This thread is from Feb 2012.  Over a year and half ago.  

Sorry this didn't help.