Problems with the new Microsoft Racing Speed Wheel

The rumble effects on the Microsoft wireless speed wheel (the U shaped one) seems to be non existant when playing Forza 4. When I use the wheel, I set all the assists except the transmission(manual). So, when I start the round, there is no rumble effects. Only when I hit a wall does the controller vibrate. I found out that restarting the wheel(holding guide button and turning off controller and turning it back on) gives the vibration function back, but all the button mappings get reset. After I restart it, I no longer have the ability to shift gears. The D pad only shows telemetry.

Can someone that owns a Microsoft Wireless speed wheel confirm whether this happens to you?

edit: I found this answer in the forzamotorsport.net forums

Re: Microsoft wireless speed wheel bug?

I too have had this issue on multiple occasions.  What seems to actually be the problem is that the game is starting to recognize the Wireless Speed Wheel as the actual full Microsoft Race wheel (you can tell when this happens by going to the controls menu to see a diagram of the original Race Wheel).  Which is why the d-pad starts to show the Telemetry instead of allowing you to shift, because that is the mapping on the full Race wheel (and the shifting is mapped to the bumpers, which the Speed Wheel does not have).

Really really hope that this issue gets fixed as I am thoroughly enjoying the Speed Wheel, but playing in Automatic transmission so I avoid this issue is not as fun.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

In the Forza Options menu you have the choice to set it to 5 different types of mapping, I had a similar problem and changed it to number 2. But the rumble function is useless. However my biggest problem is that MS have not fitted a Jack to allow us to plug our headsets into. How do we talk to friends online? I own Turtle Beaches, now I'm going to have to buy a Bluetooth type H/Set, or return the Speed Wheel. I really think it will be the latter though. I'm really disappointed with it. Very bad design fault.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for options menu advice but its pretty well hidden and hard to find. especially as my thumb is so painful from being at such an uncomfortable angle for the last hour whilst using this wheel. I understand your problem with the non-existant mic socket but could you not use the inbuilt mic in the kinnect sensor(assuming you have kinnect)

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, in addition to the mic input, they forgot to put the bumpers on it too! Forza 4 's menus require bumpers at times, and this controller was supposedly designed for that game...

Sorry this didn't help.