Problems with N wireless Adapter and Belkin Router/Modem

Ok, so this has been going on almost a year now. First of all, I bought a 360 elite in 09. I was in another house at the time and everything worked fine on the belkin router. I moved houses, still everything worked fine until about April/May 2010. No settings had been changed, no ISP change, no hardware change, on either end between me and a connection used by three people I have on xbox. (They are all in one house, so all use the same ISP). For some reason, we couldn't connect to each others games or parties. So I went about port forwarding and using the DMZ. That worked great for a few more months, even when the other people got a new ISP, it still worked a treat. Now, suddenly my ISP at the time (Netspace) decided they wanted to use PPPOA instead of PPPOE. I read so many times that this shouldn't have an affect on the 360, but the fact of the matter is, with or without the port forwarding and DMZ, it wouldn't connect to them at all. I couldn't use PPPOE because it wouldn't connect to my internet at all. So all in all, I sacrifised about 6 months worth of online time since I couldn't play with who I wanted to (the whole reason I got the xbox in the first place). So, eventually we had to change ISPs here, because the house mate whom the ISP was under, left our house. We moved to Telstra. Unfortunately, this did not solve the issue, even though I was now able to freely choose between PPPOE and PPPOA. Neither port forwarding, nor DMZ helped. I have tried every trick in the book I could think of, before giving up and simply not playing the 360 at all. Waste of $500 in my opinion as it were. That said, I thought I would try it when some other friends wanted to play, almost a year later now. Throughout all of this, I was using an N wireless adapter (black one), as it was illogical to have cables strewed out through the house. A month ago when I started playing again, the adapter suddenly can't connect to the router at all. Again, no settings have been changed unless I've tried all the above to get it to work before reseting them. We are still with Telstra. Same house. Putting an ethernet cable works just fine, but again, it just doesn't work for use because someone could trip over the cable or my cat might chew through it or something. I have no idea what to do at this point, since all I want to do is be able to play on live, without wasting yet another $130 on an N adapter or another $200 on an N router, neither of which I can afford to do. Also, we tried this with another router we had spare, same problems. Also, for further details, I'll include this little part.

What Country/State/Province do you live in? Australia, Queensland, Mountain Creek.

Modem brand & model number: Belkin F5D8636-4 v1

Router brand & model number: Belkin F5D8636-4 v1

Network Connection Type: Wireless

If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using? WPA/WPA2-Personal (PSK)

If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter? Black. Wireless N Adapter.

Things you have tried:  Everything that was mentioned above.

Is UPnP Enabled? Yes

Is NAT Type Open? Not too sure on this one, because its always been a yes or no. Now I can't even log on to tell.

Any Error Codes you encounter: Only the status report ones

W: 0000-0000

X: 8000-0011

Y: 0000-0000

Z: 0000-0000

ID: 0000-0005

ID: 0000-0006

ID: 0000-0007

ID: 0000-0009

What type of internet do you have? ADSL2

Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)?  Telstra (Bigpond)

After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" and click on "More info", what is the exact message shown on screen? First it comes up with Test Failed when trying to connect to the router. Then 'Can't connect to your wireless network'.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 28 Applies to:

Hi,

• What version of firmware if the Belkin using?
  • Can you see your wireless network on the Xbox as a network you can connect to?
  • Have you tried resetting your Xbox network settings to factory defaults and doing no further changes to the Xbox apart from join the wireless network?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Firmware version: 1.00.06 (Jun 2 2009 14:36:34)

Yes I can see the network, and it has a little tick to say it's connected, but when I go to test connection, it won't connect to the router at all.

And I tried restarting to factory settings yesterday with everything on automatic, it didn't work. Same issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Ok work your way through this list:- www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/.../114-troubleshooting-and-improving-wireless

Especially try (as a test) the bit about removing all wireless security to see if it connects without any, if it can't connect with no security then there's a bigger issue

Sorry this didn't help.

It still wouldn't connect at all unfortunately. I spent a good amount of time working on that part, along with trying to get a wired connection to work with my friends using the DMZ, port forwarding and turned off UPnP as well. That doesn't work still either. Very frustrating every time.

Sorry this didn't help.

You still get ip address failed when wireless WEP/WPA security and wireless mac address filters and turned off and your Xbox ip address is set to auto?

Does it fail on ip address when wired? I appreciate other bits might not work but lets stick to the ip address message for now

Sorry this didn't help.

You still get ip address failed when wireless WEP/WPA security and wireless mac address filters and turned off and your Xbox ip address is set to auto?

Yes.

Does it fail on ip address when wired?

No, but as I said, I can't have cables running through the house. I just want to get something that was working not so long ago, to be working again is all.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Kiku DarkRose"]

Yes.

[/quote]

Then you will have to report the issue to Belkin as you can't fix this yourself. It needs to be resolved in firmware

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok then. Thank you for all your help. It is much appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Its obviously not the best fix but did you try setting your router to G mode to see if it will connect?

Sorry this didn't help.