My account expired due to the credit card on file being replaced. The problem is with the poor communications and follow-up from Microsoft that followed. I spoke to support and gave them a new credit card and was told that the redemption code would be created within 24 hours and verified a new email address to be used to send the redemption code to. 2 days later I called to check on the code I was informed that the it 24-48 hours so I should have it shortly, again confirmed the email address, The next day I call again to check and now informed that it takes 3-5 days to create the code. At this point I got frustrated and asked that someone escalate my case, the same support person put me on hold and returned with information that it takes 5-10 days. At this point I got mad, not rude but definitely mad and explained that I didn't trust the information and doubted I would ever get the code and requested to speak to a supervisor. After being on hold for 10-15 minutes the support person returned and explained that he spoke to the supervisor and he said that was the policy and nothing could be done. I insisted on speaking with a supervisor anyway to officially complain about the support I was receiving. The manager took issue with me "demeaning him and Microsoft" because I suggested I was lied to and suggested that the process was extremely flawed that not only did the support staff not know the policy but they all had different answers and I felt I was being lied too. I expressed frustration with a company of Microsoft’s size having these issues. He suggested that I was given mis-information. Semantics aside this was ridiculous.
After expressing my frustration I asked that he attempt expedite the redemption code, which he agreed to do and also reconfirmed my email address.
The following day I received a voice mail confirming that the redemption code request has been made, but not yet created and that the caller would monitor the account and let me know as soon as it was created. 5 days later after not getting a call I call back to find out that the code was created the same day that I got the most recent call, they claimed I was called again and a voice mail was left. Which I doubt because I have never appear to miss voice mails and didn't miss the one from earlier the same day.
I received the code from the person I was speaking to. Then shared my concerns and asked why I didn't get an email as well after being assured that would be the delivery method, she confirmed that the email that I gave them and confirmed on 3 different occasions would not have received the code because they were not allowed to change email addresses I would have too. I then confirmed that the code was not sent to the original email address on the account.
Turns out they are having server issues and I got an error when I tried to change the email address on line.
My problem appears to be solved for now, but this has to be a case study of how not to provide customer support, not to mention how flawed of a system it must be that it takes up to 10 days to create a 25 character code and process a credit card order, by one of the world’s largest software companies.