Problems using Hard Drive Data Transfer Cable!

I have an Xbox Elite with a 120GB hard drive & I just purchased a new Xbox Slim with a 320GB hard drive. I wanted to transfer all of my date over from the Elite to the Slim. So, I went to GameStop and purchased the new HD Data Transfer Cable that has both hard drive connectors on it for the external hard drives and the internal slim hard drives.  When I plug my 120GB hard drive into the adapter and into my Xbox Slim console nothing happens. 

I called up Microsoft and they said that the cable is bad and I should return it and get another one.  They hadn't even heard of the new cable yet with both connectors on it.  So, I went and got another cable and I had the same problem.  Then Micrsoft told me that probably the USB ports on the new console were bad and that I should return the console and get another one.  I told them I could plug my usb keyboard and usb thumb drive into the USB ports and they worked & they said it doesn't mean the USB ports are working right.  So, I went and returned my Xbox console and it doesn't make a difference. I still have the same problem.

I tried plugging the data cable into all of the usb ports and none of them are working. After doing it a number of times and turning the Xbox on and off I got it to recognize the external hard drive, but after I unplugged it and plugged it back in it wouldn't recognize it again. I can feel the external hard drive buzzing so I know it's getting power, etc.

If I take out the Slim hard drive and plug it into my old Elite console the cable works fine.  Microsoft says that it has something to do with my Elite Hard Drive then.  How can it have something to do with my Elite hard drive when it's working fine plugged into my Xbox Elite?  There must be something else going on here.  The only way I can test to see if it's my hard drive is to have another external hard drive to test it with, I don't have have that right now.

Can anyone else please help me with this issue?  Thanks so much for all your help and time!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 130 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Try plugging the cable into the console first, waiting a few seconds, then plugging the HDD into the connector on the cable.

There have been reports that people cannot get 20GB drives working if they're plugged into the cable before the cable is plugged into the console. You may be having a similar problem with your 120GB HDD.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the information. Do you mean before the Xbox is powered on, or after the xbox is powered on?  Because even when the xbox is powered off there is still power going through the USB ports to power the hard drive connected to the transfer cable. I actually already tried that but maybe I didn't wait long enough, so I'll try it again.  Thanks.

Do you know if it's true the the biggest thumbdrive that the Xbox will support is 16GB or will my 32GB work? Someone told me it would work but only format out to 16GB.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Power on the console. Once it finishes booting, attach the cable. Wait a few seconds for the cable to power up (there's some electronics in there that convert from SATA to USB), then attach the drive.

The 360 can support just about any USB storage device that is formatted/partitioned as FAT32, however it will only create a Memory Unit of up to 16GB in size. I personally use a 32GB flash drive with my 360 consoles. I have a full-sized 16GB MU and plenty of space left over to store the latest system update and other media files.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the info IceStorm!  Your tip worked for me at least.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Apota4U. Just a quick question. Is your Transfer Cable a genuine Microsoft Transfer Cable or a third pary one?. This can sometimes cause problems after reading further info regarding transfer of content. Also please try this link www.xbox.com/.../transfer (if you haven't already done so). It contains a blow by blow procedure for transfer of content.

Finally has your console got the latest dashboard update? I think this is a requirement for the transfer to work correctly.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, I still haven't tried what you suggested yet. I kind of gave up and just used my 16GB thumb drive instead, but I will try it some day to see if it works. I'm interested to know.

Yes, my transfer cable is a genuine Microsoft, I purchased it at GameStop. I already saw that link, it's useless to me. I already know what to do and it doesn't work. Yes, it has the latest dashboard update.

Is there anyway to backup the data to my PC incase my Xbox HD dies on me someday?  Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

There is a way you can back up your HD Data to a PC but its a bit cumbersome, unless there is another method anyone knows of. I asked Support the same question and they said it would have to be done in 16GB chunks to a USB Flash Drive. 16GB being the current maximum amount allowed for a USB Flash Drive transfer in one go. I know this may not be ideal, but at this moment its the only way I know of.

Sorry this didn't help.

I wrote an article on this on my blog at <a href="timboontech.blogspot.co.uk/.../xbox-transfer-cable-problems.html">My Xbox Transfer Cable Won't Work</a>.

Hope that helps!

Sorry this didn't help.

I wrote an article on the solution to this on my blog at My Xbox Transfer Cable Won't Work.

Hope that helps!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello timbad2! Since this thread is from 2011 and very dated, can you make a new post here. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.