Problems trying to connect to USB modem with ICS.

So I've been trying to get my Xbox 360 online for the last few days for an update and had nothing but difficulty. I managed to get it online by connecting it to my laptop via USB and connecting my laptop to the internet using my Android as a wifi hotspot. The only problem was that for some reason I couldn't download the update I want. I could view the marketplace but not download anything. I've been trying to get my Xbox online now using my 2degrees USB modem stick. I've done everything such as allowing other connections to connect to the USB modem.

When I do the connection test, the Xbox connects to the network but then fails the internet part of the test. In the window for the USB modem I can see that during the internet part of the test that the Xbox is connecting since the upload and download bandwidth things go up, but the test still fails. I've tried the test several times and reset everything over and over but I can't get it to connect.

I've tried to directly bridge the connection but there is no option to bridge the USB modem with anything. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 24 Applies to:

Hello

Update from CD or Usb

Copy to a USB flash drive

If you cannot connect your Xbox 360 console to the Internet, you can copy the console update from your computer to a USB flash drive and then install it on the console.

Note The USB flash drive must use the FAT32 file system.

1. Plug your USB flash drive into a USB port on your computer.
  2. Download the update file.
  3. Click Save to save the console update .zip file on your computer.
  4. Unzip the file. If you are using Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, double-click the .zip file to unzip it.
  5. Copy the contents of the .zip file to the root directory of your flash drive.
  6. Unplug the USB flash drive from your computer.
  7. Plug the flash drive into a USB port on your Xbox 360 console.
  8. Restart the console.
  9. When the console restarts, the installation program starts automatically. Select Yes when you are prompted to update the new console software.
Burn to a CD or DVD

You can update your Xbox 360 console software by downloading the update to your computer from Xbox.com, burning the update to a CD or DVD, and then installing the update on your console. Here's how:

1. On your computer, download the update file.
  2. Click Save to save the console update .zip file on your computer.
  3. Unzip the file. If you are using Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, double-click the .zip file to unzip it.
  • If you are using Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, double-click the .zip file to unzip it.
  • If you are using an earlier version of Windows, you need to use a special software program to unzip the file (for example, WinZip).
  • Insert a blank, writeable CD or DVD into your computer.
  • Copy the contents of the .zip file to the root directory on your CD or DVD, and choose to write (burn) the files to the disc.
  • Once the files have been burned to disc, remove that disc from your computer and insert it into the disc drive on your Xbox 360 console.
  • Restart the console.
  • When the console restarts, the installation program starts automatically. Select Yes when you are prompted to update the new console software.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="HeadbangnLegend"]I managed to get it online by connecting it to my laptop via USB [/quote]

How exactly did you use USB to connect your console to your Laptop? Are you really referring to an USB cable, or did you mean an ethernet network cable?

[quote user="HeadbangnLegend"]I've been trying to get my Xbox online now using my 2degrees USB modem stick.[/quote]

If you mean to plug the 2degrees USB stick into your console directly, that doesn't work.

You need to do it like this (this however only works if you don't need special software to connect your PC to the Internet with the 2degree stick, the stick HAS TO show up as a broadband or dialup modem device connection to the internet).

If you see your 2degree internet connection in the network settings (in Windows press Windowskey+R, then type "ncpa.cpl" in the small window and press OK), right click on the 2degree connection and choose properties.

There should be a "Sharing" tab. There check that this connection should be shared to other users in your network, and since you seem to have WLAN and LAN connections in your Laptop, choose the LAN connection that your Xbox is connected to.

Then also check that other users are allowed to start and terminate the connection.

Now on your Xbox console go to the network settings and check the network configuration. If set to automatic, it should get an IP address from your PC in the 192.168.137.XXX range (with XXX being a number between 1 and 254)

Try to test the connection to XBox Live now.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

Do you have a firewall on your PC? If so what is it called? (Mcafee, Zonealarm etc etc)

Sorry this didn't help.

The 2degrees USB modem stick is not supported.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

I'm no Techie....all the crap up top.....just Tether your Cellphone to create a WI-FI....your cellphone will become the SSID with wap skp or what ever shows on your phone...then password. Once you go into your xbox you will see...YOUR CELLPHONE listed in wireless click it then it will take you to password....enter that and it will update...just leave it till you have to top up 3GB lolll

Sorry this didn't help.

Don't leave it till your update is going to cost you 1964mb especially if your going to use your T-Stick to update your xbox....will cost you. TETHER....love Carol>>>>>>

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there UnsayingEwe5196!

Thanks for posting! Keep in mind that due to that age of this thread, folks may not see your helpful suggestions.  Feel free to post in any current threads.  Thanks in advance!

Sorry this didn't help.