Problems setting up wireless Xbox 360 controller for Windows 7

Hi, so I just purchased an xbox 360 wireless gaming receiver for my PC, and I'm having trouble setting up my xbox 360 controller. First, let me clarify that:

I have verified that the controller is 100% functional on my xbox 360.
The green light on my receiver is on, and I have downloaded the driver software

However, there do appear to be some missing links in this whole process. On the help website, it tells me that in my Device Manager, under Human Interface Devices, there should be two entries:

HID-Compliant Game Controller
USB Human Interface Device

Both of which I do not have. Furthermore, the controller is not being recognized by the receiver, even when I click the connect button on both of them. The green semicircles keep flashing, but they do not stop as intended, as if it cannot find the device.

Furthermore, there is not a third entry under Microsoft Common Controller for Windows Class (which isn't there in the first place), called Xbox 360 Controller for Windows. I've downloaded the drivers for the wireless controller three separate times now. It wouldn't do it automatically upon connecting the receiver, if that helps in finding out my issue.

In summmary, I'd like to know where I can download the following drivers:

HID-Compliant Game Controller
USB Human Interface Device
Xbox 360 Controller for Windows

Thank you very much in advance - if there's anything that needs clarification in order for you to more conveniently assist me, I'd be happy to oblige.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 325 Applies to:
Answer

Hi there.  This issue commonly occurs when the Gaming receiver you have purchased is not an official Microsoft product.  It might be possible to get your device to function as it should. But, if this is indeed a nock off device, it may not be possible to get it to work.  In which case you should seek a refund.

You didn't say if your device shows up in Windows Device Manager?  If it does, and shows as an 'Unknown Device', here is a possible fix:

Click on Device Manager
Right click on the Unknown Device
 Go to Properties
 Go to the Drive tab
 Click on Update Driver...
 Browse my computer for driver software
 Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
 Windows Common Controller for Window Class
 Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows Version: 2.1.0.1349
 Update Driver Warning, Click Yes.

Let us know how you get on.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.