Problems Changing Gamertag

I have contacted Microsoft support many times and the last person told me to come to the forums. I want a gamertag and I sent a message to it to see if it was in use and it said it wasn't and I tried to change my name and it said it was in use. Please Help! 

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hi Cougar,

It's possible that the gamertag you want to change to could be in use on another service like Zune or Games For Windows LIVE, just not Xbox LIVE.

More information about that can be found on the sticky post: forums.xbox.com/.../153151.aspx

======================================

I can't change my Gamertag (GT).

Most of the time if you are seeing a message saying the GT you want is unavailable, it’s true. One thing to remember is that spaces and capitalization don’t make your GT unique. For example, “Major Nelson”, “MajorNelson”, and “MaJoRnElSoN” are all the same GT.

GTs are also tied to services like Zune or Games for Windows LIVE. If a GT doesn't exist on Xbox, it might be in use on one of those services. If you try sending the GT you want a friend request and it says it’s not a valid GT that just means it isn’t used on Xbox LIVE, but it could be used for Zune or GFWL.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Are you referring to a change in a particular gamer-tag name?  

Every gamertag name is unique. Once it is taken it will not become  available unless that person decides to change his/her nickname.

You can make your gamer tag similar to your desired nickname by  adding additional characters or spaces

Sorry this didn't help.

If someone got it before you did, they have it.

Other services besides Xbox LIVE use gamertags.

Until they release it, you can't have it.

There's no way to predict when the person who has it will release it.

Sorry this didn't help.