PROBLEM-Xbox One S 4k UHD Disc

I received my new Xbox One S two weeks ago and I am happy (cough cough) with the product. Hooked it up to my new Vizio M70-D3 4k hdr TV, and the quality, features, and contents included are superb. I bought the Halo bundle, played Halo on it (looks great), then bought Assassin's Creed (played great). The youtube, netflix, HBO go apps come in top quality and look amazing on my tv through the xbox. Sidenote- Why hasn't Vudu updated their microsoft app to play 4k hdr movies, when vudu have included it on their google cast app (built into tv).

HOWEVER, my problem is (completely aggravated by this) when I play 4k UHD blu ray discs, the screen will black out for a second or more, audio still running (sometimes), then the picture comes back. Sometimes when watching a movie it will not happen until 10-15 min into the movie, sometimes it will happen sooner, but whenever it occurs it will continue to do the same thing unless I stop the movie. Even if I restart the movie, the problem will persist. Even if I turn off everything, eject the disc and restart everything, the problem will occur. I have 3 4k uhd movies - Deadpool, Superman v. Batman, and Mad Max. All movies discs will play fine (therefore my problem is not what some state here---some uhd discs not playing, for me so far all the movies will play). But the problem will happen with all of them, the screen will black out randomly for few seconds, so you will miss the scene being shown. i have read on xbox support forum and other forums that this problem is persistent with the xbox on not just the Vizio tvs but also others. I know people have informed Microsoft support about this problem from the initial release of the xbox one s. I also know that this is a xbox problem and not with the Tvs. If you look at this forum years ago, you will find that the SAME EXACT PROBLEM is discussed by people when the xbox one was released. So therefore when that product was released, the problem occurred on 4k Tvs. Knowing this, Microsoft should have had this fixed before releasing Xbox one S, especially since Microsoft took a direct shot at the new playstation for not having 4k playback capability.

I spoke with microsoft support, they told me to try to reduce the resolution of the xbox to 1080p with ability to play 4k hdr, they said having 4k on my tv and my xbox may be causing it to try to play 8k quality. WHAT THE HECK? But I tried their suggestion and no luck. Still had the problem. 

EXCUSE ME Microsoft, can you please fix this once and FOR ALL? More and more people like myself are now buying 4k hdr TVs. I bought the xbox one S after seeing the value in the product compare to buying a true 4k blu ray player. I am not a gamer, last game system I played regularly was Nintendo 64, BUT I am a big movie buff. For that reason I bought this xbox, and thought that having the games and extra stuff combined would be a great addition to my theater room. So far with the xbox I am 50% happy because the main reason I wanted it was to watch uhd discs. Definitely wondering whether it would have been better to buy the Samsung 4k blu ray player.

I am posting this because if anyone is wondering about doing similar purchases towards a new entertainment system set up, BE AWARE of this problem. Maybe it will be less hassle to go with the 4k blu ray player.

But all in all, I am hoping, wishing, praying that Microsoft will fix this problem soon, or many systems will be returned, including mine. This is kind of embarrassing for Microsoft knowing that this SAME EXACT PROBLEM was acknowledged by them when the old xbox one came out. For now I will use the VUDU app built into my Vizio Tv which plays 4k hdr movies just perfectly.   

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 796 Applies to:

Hi Hi Shazizle84,

Sorry you're having issues with 4K movies. Other people are having this issue too, and I'm guessing Microsoft is noting movies as they come in, and patching. The good news is your console is fine. You'll just need to wait for an update, and given the number of people with that issue, I would imagine it's not too far off. If you see you have other movies other than what you listed, I would suggest posting those here as well.  

With VUDU, that unfortunately is up to the app developer to publish and Xbox has no way to say if or when that will happen.

Hope this helps!

MCP. MCDST. LVL 80

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey Shazizle84! We are working with our partners on this issue. For the time being, make sure you're using the official HDMI cable that came with the Xbox and that it is connected securely. Additionally you may want to try using a different port on your TV to see if that helps the issue. If i get any updates I will post them here, otherwise let me know how the troubleshooting steps work for you. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with you 100%. Everyone at Microsoft, and what they say is pure ****., period.  Originally in Jan. 2017, I was going to buy the the ps4 pro, instead of the 1s, i did a lot of research, and i thought i would save of not buying a 4k Blu ray back then was about 800.00 cad. So I decided to buy the 1s instead. Big mistake. Playing games is great, etc....but movies forget it.  So i decided to purchase the Oppo 205, and i was amazed, at the picture quality. 

Sorry this didn't help.