Problem with Xbox Console

HI, I have had an Xbox Pro for about 4 1/2 -5 years now. Recently its been overheating way to much. I cant keep it on for more than abotu a 5-10 minute basis. I unsure of what the problem is with it. I have sent in the Xbox already once for some problem not sure what it was. I am unsure on what to do as of now. Weather to buy a used one off of Ebay or Gamestop or a Refurbished one. Or if I should just send it in have it fixed and purchase an Intercooler for it and see if that works. Please help me out unsure what to do! Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Hey Coop.

I definitely would not recommend you buy a used console from E-bay!, but others may disagree.

Mainly because you do not know the consoles history and for all you know it could be banned from LIVE and that is not reversible. Or it may be tampered with and when you connect it to LIVE it will be banned.
Neither do you know the warranty status for the console or even if it has one, so basically its a bad idea buying pre owned.

If the console is in a well ventilated area it certainly should not be shutting off so frequently.
Just to ask what colour is the light on the power brick?, and when the console shuts down do you get any red lights on the front of the unit (RROD). You mentioned you have sent the console to MS previously, is the console still covered by the warranty?.

EDIT: Also do not use intercooler on 360's as they immediately void any warranty the console has.
And really they are not needed so long as you have your console placed correctly to make sure there is adequate air circulation.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you. Got the 2 RROD's already had the 3RROD which was why I had to send it in the first time.  I have it in the same spot that ive had it for years so im not sure if soemthing's just gone on it so perhaps I should just buy a new one.

Sorry this didn't help.

Your welcome Coop, I just would not want someone to spend their money and end up with a dud refurb/2nd hand console off E-bay.

Here is a sticky about the RROD, its possible something in there may help you so its worth a shot taking a look. Also do the shut downs still happen if you remove the HDD?.
Personally if it was me I would buy a new console if it came to needing a repair.
Unless you are covered by the warranty you got after your last repair, then it would be free to send it to MS.
Paid repair is 12 months warranty.
Free repair is either 3 months or 6 (not 100% which).

If you are unsure you can check your warranty status on xbox.com or by phoning support.

Sorry I could not be of anymore help really.

Sorry this didn't help.

Might be worth checking the vents to see if there's anything clogging them and giving the surface of where your console is sitting a polish.

Sorry this didn't help.

I know this might be a very obvious question, but are you sure the xbox fan is still working?  The other day on my PC my video card's fan blew out suddenly and my PC began shutting off randomly until I opened it up and realized it was no longer working.  That might be your problem with the overheating.

Sorry this didn't help.