Problem With "Add Security" Log-In Prompt (Xbox LIVE)...

Hello Xbox Support,

Firstly, I apologise if this post is listed incorrectly on this forum, I was undecided on whether to use forum 2 (Connecting To Xbox LIVE) or Forum 3 (Managing My Xbox Live Account).

I am currently having a problem with an "Add Security" log-in prompt when connecting or attempting to connect to the Xbox LIVE service. I have been having this issue persistently for approximately one week now and I believe I have exhausted all possible solutions available to me, unfortunately to no avail.

Before I begin to detail the problem; for your information I do have two step verification enabled on my Microsoft Account, I also have two working and verified email addresses listed as security proofs plus a working and verified telephone number. In addition I have a working and verified application password for my Xbox 360 console as "some apps... or devices can't prompt you to enter a security proof when you try to sign in" - http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/billing-and-subscriptions/account-security/no-prompt-security-proof

Please note that all of the proofs listed above are validated and are listed accurately within the security section(s) of my Microsoft Account.

Now, as mentioned previously, every time I connect to the Xbox LIVE service I am being presented with an "Add Security" log-in prompt that asks me to enter my email address and password/application password in order for me to check and confirm the security proofs listed under my Microsoft/Xbox LIVE Account. I have absolutely no problem doing this. If my log-in is successful the following screens will list my security proofs correctly and I am able to successfully sign-in to the service. When I sign-out, power down or restart the console I am presented with this same "Add Security" log-in prompt.

I suppose that I could live with this situation, however, many times after I input my security information in to the "Add Security" log-in prompt, the system loads/buffers over the "do you want your password to be remembered" window, shortly afterwards I am presented with error code 80151103 which suggests that there is a temporary problem with the Xbox LIVE service or that my account is blocked. If I am presented with this error message I am physically unable to connect to the Xbox LIVE service. In order to rectify this problem I have to delete my profile (only) and re-download my profile with the exact same log-in credentials, this always works and eventually I am able to sign-in successfully, only to be presented with the "Add Security" log-in prompt the next time I attempt to sign in.

I have done many things in order to stop this "Add Security" log-in prompt from appearing unnecessarily on my Xbox 360 console. I have deleted and re-downloaded my profile more times in this last week than I have in my entire 6/7 year tenure with Xbox LIVE. I have followed some possible solutions to the letter, many of which are detailed within these support forums:

• Clearing the cache 3 times in-between deleting and downloading my Xbox LIVE profile
  • Logging in to my Microsoft Account and confirming/verifying my security proofs
  • Disabling and Re-enabling two-step verification on my Microsoft Account

All of the above fails. I do feel as though this is harsh price to pay for in today's world having a sufficient level of security installed on my Xbox LIVE/Microsoft Account, and this for me is a real last ditch attempt and trying to get this issue resolved. Obviously I would appreciate any support in regard to this matter, but I do believe official assistance will be required in order to fix this problem.

Many thanks. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 117 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Jimbonus,

This certainly is a tenacious error. I'm sorry to hear you're still having issues with it.

I'm new into this thread so forgive me if I missed this when reading through:

• Do any other accounts run into this issue when logging in on your console?
  • Are you able to try connecting to Xbox LIVE on any other profile on your console?
  • Can you try disconnecting from your network and signing in to your profile and see if you get the same error?

Also, am I understanding correctly that:

• You can automatically log in initially but if you do any of the following it signs you out:
    • Log out
    • Power off the console
    • Restart the console

This may help us narrow down where the weirdness may lie with this issue. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi taidara,

Re-downloading system update(s) as instructed. Will keep you posted.

Many thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Jim!

I'm glad to hear that you found a solution that works for you. Just to clarify, if you have security proofs enabled on your account and choose not to save your password on a console (which would make that console a "trusted" console), it will pop up with the "add security" pages every time you log in.

For example, on my account when I put in my password to sign in, it asks if I want it to remember my password and I tell it no. Then it asks if I have these security proofs (it lists my security proofs) and I have to tell it that I still have those security proofs before it moves on to logging me in.

Are you still occasionally receiving that error code (801511030)? If so, you can try disabling Two-Step Verification and then not saving your password on your console to see if it continues to give you that error when logging in.

I hope that helps clear things up and if you keep getting that error code let us know!

Sorry this didn't help.

Try delete a portion of the system update, if this has somehow become "lost in translation" and reinstall the system update. Here's how!

Turn off your console. Press and hold the sync button (the small one you use to connect your wireless controllers). While holding press the power button to turn your console on. Continue to hold the sync button until the console is completely booted up.

Go to System Settings and choose storage.

On your controller, press the following button sequence:

Press the left bumper.
    Press the right bumper.
    Press the X button.
    Press the left bumper.
    Press the right bumper.
    Press the X button. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Your kind words brings me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I'm glad that we managed to cast some light how MSFT's two-step verification is supposed to work.

If you have any concerns regarding the console or Xbox LIVE, you know where to find us.

Happy gaming and take care! :) 

Sorry this didn't help.

To Mister Cerb,

I can confirm that unfortunately I am still receiving "Error Code: 80151103" when attempting to sign in to the Xbox LIVE service via the "Add Security" log-in prompt discussed in detail above, I can also confirm that I am receiving this message with two-step verification enabled and disabled.

Firstly, based on your instructions above in relation to the "Add Security" log-in prompt, to connect to the Xbox LIVE service I now HAVE to request that my console remember my log-in credentials in order to successfully sign-in to Xbox LIVE.

Whilst investigating this issue I disabled this function and then deleted and re-download my profile, effectively starting from scratch. Upon completion of my profile being downloaded I am automatically signed-in to Xbox Live, so I sign out and immediately sign back-in. This will always work as described in my very first post. The problem is when I then sign-out for a second time, power-off or restart the console. No matter what happens from this point onwards, after inputting the required information in to the "Add-Security" log-in prompt, an Xbox 360 loading/buffering icon appears as an overlay above the "Do you want your password to be remembered" window, shortly after I am presented with "Error Code: 80151103" and am prevented from connecting to the service. Please note that whether two-step verification is enabled or disabled, I am using the exact same application password/base password that was used to initially re-download my profile to the console.

Now, If I delete and re-download my profile again, using the exact same set of working log-in credentials I will be connected to Xbox LIVE automatically, however, just as described above if I sign-out, power-off or restart my console I can log-in only once successfully (after re-downloading my profile) before I receive "Error Code: 80151103". Essentially I have to keep re-downloading my profile in order to sign in to the Xbox LIVE service with the console not remembering my log-in credentials.

It doesn't matter if I have two-step verification enabled or not, or whether I'm using a working application password or standard base password, the end result is unfortunately the same.

I thought this might have something to do with an application password expiring after one use, but upon receiving "Error Code: 80151103" I thought that I would put this to the test by signing-in to my Microsoft Account and creating a new application password. With this new password I still received this same error message, but can confirm it was working perfectly as I used it to re-download my profile moments later and successfully signed-in.

I am just wondering what your views are on this? Many thanks in advance.

Sorry this didn't help.

<Update>

If I select the option to have my Xbox 360 remember my log-in password I am able to bypass the "Add Security" log-in prompt and connect to the Xbox LIVE service without any problems, even after signing out, powering off or restarting the console. The "Add Security" log-in prompt simply disappears which is excellent. However, If I navigate to my account/security settings on my console and request to be asked for a password the "Add Security" log-in prompt reappears in all of its glory as described above. I am not sure as to whether this is the normal two-step verification and application password log-in screen for Xbox LIVE?

For security reasons though I do want to be asked for a password when signing in to Xbox LIVE, having my password remembered on my console defeats the object of security, but if this is how the system is technically designed to work with two-step verification enabled and the use of application passwords so be it. I will have no choice but to have my log-in credentials remembered on my console.

Again, any feedback in regard to this matter would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.    

Sorry this didn't help.

After you have managed to download your profile, did you select the "Remember me" check box?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jim,

Man, this is odd! Seeing as you have tried virtually all relevant troubleshooting steps, I would suggest initiating a Chat with Xbox Support and have them take a look at your account, just to make sure there is nothing funky on the back-end we cannot see. 

Let us know what they find, if anything, and we can go from there.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi taidara,

Deleting and reinstalling system update(s) has not solved the issue. I am still being presented with the "Add Security" log-in prompt when signing in to Xbox LIVE, whether two-step verification is enabled or not. I thought that we were on to something then. Never-mind.

Many thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.