Problem with play and charge kit on new console

I had an older console with a play and charge kit working fine.  Got a brand-spanking new console and a brand-spanking new play and charge kit for Xmas, but when I plug the new controller into the usb port the light on the charging cord doesn't go on and the battery doesn't charge more than a little.  It works fine as long as it's plugged in, but I'd like for it to actually charge.  

I tried the old cord, which definitely worked on my OLD console, and it has the same problem on the NEW console.  I've tried plugging it in in different ports, and it's always the same.  Is there a problem with my usb ports?  

Not sure if it's related, but I also had a problem when I was using my hard drive transfer cable.  It took me several tries, and I had to unplug it and reconnect it several times before I finally got the transfer window to come up on the screen.  That's why I thought my ports themselves might have a problem.

Thanks for any help!!!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Hey Moloch, Sorry to see that your having some troubles with your new console and the plug and play kit. The next thing I must ask since I see that you have taken a few steps to troubleshoot this, but have you taken a look at this support troubleshooter and done at least a few of the steps.. This shall help us narrow the issue down. support.xbox.com/.../controllers-remotes

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yeah, I tried that.  Everything seems to work fine except when it's plugged into the new console.  

Forgot to mention one little detail: the light on the cord (right above where it plugs into the controller) that should be red while charging and green when the battery is full; it doesn't even light up on the new console.  That goes for both the new play and charge cord and the old one (that definitely still worked on my old console).

I'm really hoping it's not the console, but that's what my trouble shooting is pointing to.  I definitely have the latest software.  

Sorry this didn't help.

With that, it sounds like your console maybe in need of repair.. You can begin this process by visiting myservice.xbox.com/.../Welcome.aspx .

Sorry this didn't help.