Problem with memory in 360 S 4GB console

Our Xbox memory appears to be malfunctioning.  Everything was working fine a couple of days ago but this morning everything appears to be gone.  All the profiles, and the games that we downloaded are gone, and Settings > System > Storage shows the device as Unformatted, and Capacity and Free Space are blank.  When I try to download a system update I get the error message "You don't have enough storage space to take this update..."  We did do a system update a couple of nights ago which appeared to be successful, and it seemed to work for a while after that.  It seems a little coincidental that everything was working fine before that update took place, then we started having trouble.  Can someone help troubleshoot this?  I have not yet tried formatting the memory, although at this point there doesn't appear to be much to lose.

Thanks,

Chris

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 103 Applies to:

Sorry to hear about this development Cdog8DE.  Could you please follow the guide on breaking down exactly what the issue could be from this Xbox guide for your system:

support.xbox.com/.../system-update-help

If you could, if it doesnt work out somewhere along the process, could you repost the problem below to further work on it.  Hope things fall into line an get you back to gaming.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Our 4GB storage somehow "lost its mind" and the system couldn't see it.  Couldn't do anything, including the things you suggested, until I reformatted it.  Since then, it appears to be behaving normally.  Had to re-download a profile, and still have to re-download all the games we had.  Hopefully this won't happen again, especially after the warranty expires!

Sorry this didn't help.

The 4GB onboard our Slim has done the same thing.  Worked fine, then turned it on one day and got the same update notification, and same error.  Looked and there were no storage devices available.  This was the 2nd Xbox for the house, so I didn't even think twice about reformatting.  Unfortunately, that did not really help as the formatting was lost the next time the system was rebooted.  Warranty is coming up on this system soon, so I'd like to know if there is a fix/known problem or anything else I should do before getting support on the line.

Sorry this didn't help.