Problem with Hard Drive?

My brother was playing a game, and it froze. He unplugged it and it took a minute to get past the Xbox 360 logo that's shown when the system's turned on. Then we found out that our profiles were gone. We looked at the hard drive and while it said that 27/250 gigabytes were available, it said that there was nothing on it once we selected the hard drive. Is there a way to recover the data? Should I send my 360 to Microsoft? Or should I format the hard drive?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

sounds like your hard drive is toast, and if nothing is showing up on it then your gonna have to get a new HD and start all over again unless you had your saves backed up on a flash drive set up for use on 360 or cloud storage.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Why didn't your brother just hold the power button til it turned off? By unplugging it he could have done some serious damage. The only data that would be lost and non-recoverable would be your game saves. Everything else can be re-downloaded off the XBL servers. Just recover your accounts, then go into your Download History and start the lengthy process (depending on how much content you had).

Sorry this didn't help.

Was the game saving information when your brother unplugged it? If so the hard drive may not be toast, just the data on it maybe corrupted. What I would recommend is using a flash drive for now to recover you gamer profiles and then from there see if your information is still on the hard drive, if the game saves and downloads are there just transfer the gamer profiles from the flash drive to the hard drive. If this doesn't work you may have to format your hard drive. Don't ever unplug or turn off the console when it's saving, this will cause profile and game data corruption.

Sorry this didn't help.