Problem with changing WLID

I'm changing the WLID associated with my gamertag, so I made a hotmail account.  I triple checked to make sure that all of the passwords I had written down in front of me were correct. I signed in to my original WLID. Then I put in the info for the new WLID. During step 7 where it asks you if you are sure you want to do it and that the MS points will go over to your new account, I get an error message that says either the email account or password is incorrect and they ARE correct. I have entered them and re-entered them multiple times and even waited 24 hours and tried again and still got the same message. Can someone please help.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

To be sure, are you trying to enter the old password to your account, or the password associated with the new email address? If I'm not mistaken, you will need to enter the old password to enact that change.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Here is a better step by step of what is happening.

1. I select WLID on xbox dashboard

2. I select option to change email account associated with WLID

3. I sign in to original WLID

4. I sign in new WLID that I want to change the original to. (note that both steps 3 and 4 say "signing in" and work fine)

5. I select yes I want to confirm the change and have MS points switched over to new account

6. Error message saying that the email address or password is invalid.

I have checked and double checked all of the passwords and I even changed my original account's password to make sure that I had it correct.

Is it because my original WLID is under a @att.net and my new one is hotmail?

Can I call tech support and have them change it for me?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.