Problem with Audio system...

Very annoying problem. I got a 5.1 surround system which I use by having HDMI connected to the telly and then running an optical audio cable down to the system from the output of the telly. The problem is this: whenever there is no sound from the 360 for a few seconds, the receiver's display will shift from "DVD OPT" to "UNLOCK".

Here's the annoying part: whenever the 360 makes a sound again the front will display "PCM" and the system remains silent for another few seconds until the display shifts from "PCM" to "DVD OPT". This causes me to constantly lose the first few seconds of audio which annoys me greatly...

Please help...

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Almost sounds like when I turn my surround sound volume up too high. The only game that I get that kind of issue on is Crysis 2. Do you have any settings on your surround sound system like a feature to compress the audio? Also, check that you sound levels for each speaker are not set too high? The only other thing I could think of is having the optical audio cable coming out of the TV to the receiver, instead of coming from the 360 to audio receiver. But if you have an older 360, you will have to buy this:

HDMI and optical audio dongle

I had this for a while with my black 120 GB 360, it worked very well. I was not able to find it on Game Stop's website.

The dongle works to circumvent the cut-off in sound. However, it doesn't "carry" my sub-woofer with it as it doesn't work when I connect via the dongle.

And the issue happens at any volume...

Honestly, I don't know what to say because I had the same setup for a few years except the option of optical out from the TV. And I never had an issue with sound cutting out except when the volume was too high. And even during that time, I had a subwoofer with my 5.1 set-up. I will ask a friend about this and get back to you about it. Also, I think I still have the dongle and I might try to set up my 120GB again on my main TV and see what happens.

To me it just sounds like your receiver is very slow when switching from various audio types.  If that is correct... then likely the only solution would be a new audio receiver.  The good news is that receivers and better and cheaper than ever.

I appreciate you taking the time, I really do. Dunno if it matters, but this only applies to when I use the 360; when I use the telly to watch regular television the sound system doesn't go quiet like this if there isn't any sound playing.

[quote user="Oglaf"]

I appreciate you taking the time, I really do. Dunno if it matters, but this only applies to when I use the 360; when I use the telly to watch regular television the sound system doesn't go quiet like this if there isn't any sound playing.

[/quote]

If you mind asking, what kind of surround sound system do you have? And also have you check your settings on the console, you can choose between different audio outputs in the system settings at the far right of the game disc box.

It's a Andersson Centrum RB-80 receiver.

Looks like this

[quote user="Oglaf"]

Looks like this

[/quote]

Do you have the option on the back of that receiver to hook up the sub-woofer with a RCA type cable. My Infinity sub-woofer has a cable that is colored brown on the connections. Also, I recall having a similar issue when the sound wasn't coming out of certain speakers when streaming music from my Zune account on my computer to my 360. I ending up having to mess with the settings on the receiver that governed what size speakers were connected to my receiver.

Your receiver looks similar to an older Sony unit. But by the specs, you definitely don't need a new unit. My buddy still has a Sherwood unit my dad bought back in the middle '80's and it still works like a charm.

[quote user="Oglaf"]

Looks like this

[/quote]

OK.... I see that receiver has HDMI.  Does it do HDMI audio, or is that HDMI just audio pass through? If the receiver can handle HDMI audio... I might try hooking the 360 up directly to the receiver then running HDMI out from the receiver to the tv for your video.  Likely it would be your best hook up option anyway since the vast majority of tv's with optical output only output 5.1 from the optical for over the air antenna, and downgrade every other source to stereo audio. 

Okay, so I went this route:

Xbox-(HDMI)->Receiver-(HDMI)->Telly

I get picture fine, but no sound...