Power supply plugged into surge protector

When I first plugged in my console I had it plugged into a surge protector. When I went to turn it on it made the beep noise but then powered back down. The second time I tried it powered up fine. I went on the forums to see if anyone else had a problem like that and read that microsoft advises not to plug it into a surge protector. I then plugged it into my wall outlet and starts up fine and runs fine. I just want to make sure that i didn't potentially hurt my console in the long run when i had it running for a few hours while plugged into a surge protector, and can someone tell me why microsoft doesn't want you to plug the system into a surge protector or power strip.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4,986 Applies to:

They don't want you plugging it into a surge protector because it might overload. If the power supply unit becomes overloaded it will typically begin making noise or it will just shut off the console. Additionally, the power supply has an internal fuse that will protect your console in the event of a power surge. As long as your power supply is still working it would appear that no damage was done. Hope this helps!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

good to know.... however, who was your source? I'm wondering why this warning wasn't posted on the power brick itself...

Sorry this didn't help.

SOURCES

About the Xbox One power supply

- 5th note under "Power supply unit and cord" - The Xbox One PSU contains an internal fuse that helps protect your console from voltages that are too high and power surges. However, the PSU is a sealed unit. Therefore, you can’t replace the internal fuse. 

- Under "Power supply placement, temperature, and noise" - Note If the PSU is making excessive noise, you might have a power strip or surge protector that is overloaded. Plug your PSU directly into a wall outlet and see if the problem persists.

Xbox One console turns off unexpectedly

- Under Solution #3 -  If your console won’t turn on, try plugging your console’s power supply directly into different electrical outlet (not through a surge protector).

Sorry this didn't help.

I was wondering the same thing, why shouldn't i use a 5 dollar protector (even go fancy and get a 30$ one) if i can match up the proper usage levels, i'd rather fry my surge protector then my psu, psu's are more expensive and microsoft, i'm gonna ask my electrician buddy to help me figure out what surge protector to use that won't get overloaded, cause how the *** can a psu get overloaded because a fuse (surge protector) is on the line?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's not that the PSU will get overloaded because there's a surge protector connected to it, it's that your surge protector could be overloaded and cause issues with the PSU, and therefore the functionality of the console.

I'm in the technical field and there's no way I would plug my $500 console into a piece of junk $5 strip. Keep in mind, there's a difference between a power strip and a surge protector. One protects against surges, the other is just extra outlets with no protection at all.

I use a $60 Monster surge protector with noise filtering, but I also have $3,000 of equipment plugged into it... my tv, surround sound, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4 and my cable box. If you own expensive components you don't want to cheap out on the one device that connects them all.

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with Joe Mamma.  I have  my XB1 into a surge protector (Not a Monster, but an APC, which costs ~55) with no issues.  I don't have a lot of electronics plugged into the surge protector.  IF you have a lot of power-hungry electronics on one protector, the XB1 won't have enough power, which would cause the strange noises, and power the console off.  

Sorry this didn't help.

thank you red sox fax this help me

Sorry this didn't help.

Also, the main reason for this is the same reason why the 360 power supply could not be plugged into a power strip/surge protector - according to documentation I've read, the power supply itself contains a built in surge protector, which functions the same as a multi-outlet surge protector. At first blush, this may not sound like it excludes the use of a regular surge protector, but it definitely does: surge protectors are designed in such a way that the flow of energy is actually restricted somewhat - it's not enough that you notice a difference on most devices, but on devices with high energy requirements, power strips can restrict the flow enough to cause major problems, and when that power strip is in sequence with the Xbox power supply's already built-in surge protector, this is essentially a double-weakening of the power flow.

On the 360, for example (as is the case with the One) there are very specific power requirements on startup which cause your system to work EXTRA hard to get the necessary voltage if they are pulling through two surge protectors. This was one of the prime causes of the red ring of death - over a short period of time, the system was having to work too hard to pull the voltage necessary during startup, which was causing various components to fail either due to overstress, or because they failed to draw the amperage needed on boot.

If your system is working now, you should be fine - if you removed the surge protector/strip before any problems occurred, then it shouldn't cause a long-term problem! :-)

Sorry this didn't help.

hi all

i just received an x box 1 from the states i live in south africa where the x box 1 is only coming out end of sep

i plugged the us power brick into a south african adaptor so i could plug it in the wall

the power tripped and now the console wont turn on

have i damaged the console?

the adaptor and power still works fine in the apartment for other electronics however i have no way of checking if the power of the console works as its a us cable and i am deff not going to try the adaptor again

would you suggest cutting the end off and replacing it with a south african plug?

please send thoughts and recommendations or experiences and solutions ?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey, ConfusedMoon0. Sorry you're running into a power issue, but this thread is kind of old. I suggest making a new thread detailing your issue. Since the console isn't out in South Africa yet, the support is limited, though.

Sorry this didn't help.