Power brick upside down, dangerous?

Hello there! I have my power brick since day one, my xbox is working fine, the only thing is that my power brick is making the famous fan noise. The noise is so annoying that i have to turn off the xbox completely during the night. Ive notice tho that if I put the power brick upside down, the noise is almost completely gone.

Is doing so dangerous? keep in mind that my power brick sits upside down, ON A FLAT WOOD SURFACE WITH NOTHING TOUCHING IT, the air vent are not blocked and the whole thing can "breathe" well.

--since I am posting here ill try to ask a second question since we are at it, my xbox is making a crackling noise, only audible when my ear are almost touching the console, the console is also just doing this sound when its idle or on the dashboard, when I start up a game the ventilation hide the little noise completely, normal??

Thank you and sorry for my bad english it is not my main language

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Heat rises and vents are on top of power brick so i would say it could possibly be dangerous or at least damaging to the psu to keep it upside down.

And the crackling sound is probably the hard drive which is completely normal.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the reply, ive talked with microsoft support and they said it wouldnt really do anything, but im really not sure if its true lol

Sorry this didn't help.

Support could be right but its best to be safe than sorry.

Sorry this didn't help.