POWER BRICK LIGHT TURNS RED IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME (360 Slim)

While playing any game, the power brick light will turn to red and the console obviously shuts down.  The unit is 2 years old and this began about 2 weeks ago.  All aspects of the system are well ventilated and on flat surfaces.  I have tried a different outlet and I get the same result.  I hate to invest in a new power brick, when I have seen some post indicating the purchase of a new power brick with the same result.   Thus, is there the possibility it could actually be the console?  The standard procedures from Microsoft have all been tried and I have had zero success.  Would be grateful for insights.  Impy

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Hello impy64. To rule out the possibility that it is your xbox console itself, is there any way you can connect your power brick to a different 360 and see if the same problem occurs. If it does, it would appear that the problem is indeed the power brick and would need replacing. Post back here with results. Thanks.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

A red light on the PSU means that it's over-heating.  If it's constantly over-heating and the area is well ventilated it will need to be replaced.  If a new PSU over-heats then it's either not well-ventilated or you got a fluke of a new unit that was bad--this does occasionally happen with all technology.

Sorry this didn't help.

My brick did this a month ago. I vacuumed the vents in the brick and set it up off the ground, been solid ever since. Hope this helps.

Sorry this didn't help.