Power Brick Buzzing Noise

A few weeks back I noticed a buzzing coming from my entertainment stand, first I thought it was the console but I found it was actually the power supply brick behind my stand making the buzzing noise. Is there any way to fix this? I already had a faulty kinect and would rather not send away my power source to get fixed like I have had to do before.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 49 Applies to:

Hi LordNyax360, 

A buzzing sound from the Power Supply is definitely not normal. Does it make the noise when you have it in your hand, or is it vibrating against something? I would recommend unplugged the power supply for a few minutes and then plugging it back in to see if the noise persists. If the noise goes away after unplugging it, the power supplies fans stay on for instant on mode. So one thing to try is to change your power settings to "energy saving mode".

If none of these resolve the issue, it could be a bad fan or something of that nature. You can either one just let the power supply go knowing there will be a bit of a buzz or you could submit a repair request for it. If the console is not under warranty any more, then you will need to purchase a new power supply for this which you can do using the site below. The price is actually fairly inexpensive. I'm not looking at the repair site, but I think it's about 35.00. 

Xbox Repair

Hope this helps! 

MCP. MCDST. LVL 80

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried unplugging it for a few minutes and plugged it back in. The brick was quiet until I started up the console again and when I shut it off. I use the instant on mode with my kinect, one of the features that convinced me to buy my xbox. It is still doing the same thing. I am still under warranty, I'd rather not shell out $35 if I could get it fixed for free. I'll be near a microsoft store in a few weeks, would it be possible to get a replacement brick there if I brought mine in?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi LordNyax360

I believe the power supply carries the same warranty as the console. Also last I checked the MS stores do not carry these so you would need to use the link above to submit this repair.

MCP. MCDST. LVL 80

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry this didn't help.