Possible xbox slim fault? IMPORTANT

Last year i bought a new gloss black xbox slim from gamestation, and have found it great since until about a month ago. 

For some reason during online games I occasionally experienced MAJOR lag, not just a few jolts, but a massive inerruption which leads to being signed out most the time, along with being disconected from all my games. Say i'll be playing gears of war 2. Suddenly ill start phasing in and out of the games connection for about a minute or 2, THEN my console will freeze. I dont understand. It cant be other connections interfering because its only MY xbox that is connected to my router. 

Is this a problem with the xbox's wireless router, because if it is i can get a new one with my guarantee. If not it must be my router, however this seems improbable, because it happens even if i restart my router frequently. 

Im confused and need an answer, i havent experienced this before.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

To rule out the router as the cause connect your console directly to the modem. Play as you normally would and see if it happens again. When you are being disconnected from XBL are you disconnected from the entire internet on all your devices that use it? Also, what are your connection speeds? Go to speedtest.net and run three tests; one close to you, one far from you and one in between then post the results here (download, upload and ping).

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Does this also happen on single player ?

Sorry this didn't help.

No it doesnt happen on single player games, and my connection is 10 MB, its fine when i play online games on my laptop

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer.  GET A PS3 SLIM.  Problem solved.  OR a wii.

Sorry this didn't help.

I understand your connection is 10 Mb, but could you please do this speed test, and post back your results?

We also need some more information from you.  Since you mentioned 'GameStation' in your post I take it your from the United Kingdom, correct?  Please answer the following to the best of your ability.

Modem brand & model number:
Router brand & model number:
Network Connection Type: Wireless/Wired
If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using?
If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter?
Things you have tried:
Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown
Is NAT Type Open?
Any Error Codes you encounter:
What type of Internet do you have? Cable/DSL/T1/3G?
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)?

Sorry this didn't help.

I understand your connection is 10 Mb, but could you please do this speed test, and post back your results?

Speed test was around 9.85 connection speed and 0.97 MB download speed

We also need some more information from you.  Since you mentioned 'GameStation' in your post I take it your from the United Kingdom, correct?  Please answer the following to the best of your ability.

Modem brand & model number: Virgin media

Router brand & model number: DLink

Network Connection Type: Wirelese

If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using? Not sure what it is..?

If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter? I got the slim so its a build in router in the xbox

Things you have tried: resetting router and modem, playing different online games, trying other appliances that use internet such as laptops.

Is UPnP Enabled? Unknown

Is NAT Type Open? Moderate. However this hasnt affected me.

Any Error Codes you encounter: none. Screen just freezes, or i am signed out of xbox live.

What type of Internet do you have? Cable/DSL/T1/3G? Pretty sure its DSL

Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? Virgin Media

Sorry this didn't help.

Just help clarify a few things:

Router brand & model number: DLink

What is the model number?  It should say either on the front of the unit, or underneath.  This is useful to us.

Network Connection Type: Wireless

How long have been having this problem? 

When you run the connection test, how many bars do you get from your console to your router?

If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using? Not sure what it is..?

This is your wireless security.  The encryption is either WEP or WPA.  Basically does your wireless network ask you to enter a pass-phrase (password) or a key to allow new devices to connect to the network and thus the Internet? 

Things you have tried: resetting router and modem, playing different online games, trying other appliances that use Internet such as laptops.

A silly question perhaps, but if you play online games on your laptop, do you play them in the same room as your 360?

Is UPnP Enabled? Unknown

UPnP or Universal Plug and Play is a feature that helps the router resolve NAT issues, if it's enabled it could help with your moderate NAT problem. 

Is NAT Type Open? Moderate. However this hasn't affected me.

It won't effect gameplay speed or latency. A moderate or Strict NAT can cause problems connecting to other players or communication with other players but it should not cause your console to crash or disconnect from Live.

Any Error Codes you encounter: none. Screen just freezes, or i am signed out of xbox live.

There could be many reasons for this, but if your signed out of Live it could mean your console has lost it's wireless connection to the router amongst other things.

What type of Internet do you have? Cable/DSL/T1/3G? Pretty sure its DSL

I don't mean to sound condescending, but if you're on Virgin Media you'll have a cable modem.  ISP's going through phone lines (BT, Sky, Talk-Talk ect) use DSL.

These support articles may be of some help:

http://support.xbox.com/en-gb/pages/xbox-live/troubleshoot/connection-issues/nat-type-strict.aspx

http://support.xbox.com/en-gb/pages/xbox-live/troubleshoot/connection-issues/performance.aspx

If you have a particularly troublesome connection, you may need to do some port forwarding, but feel free to post back if you get stuck or need more info.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to let you know Virgin Media is Cable broadband, not dsl, They do dsl in non cabled areas, plus you need a bt landline for that as well.

Xbox Ambassador.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ive taken all these things into account, and im sure its not my router or modem, because me and my mum both use our laptops connected to it. Also these online games i play, i can leave them connected on my laptop for hours on end, and they wont have a problem. Im pretty sure it is my xbox. Ill probs take it to game station as i have a 3 year guarantee.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Jordan Hazell"]Im pretty sure it is my xbox. Ill probs take it to game station as i have a 3 year guarantee.[/quote]

Fair enough, but if you still have problems I'll be glad to help.

Good luck!

Sorry this didn't help.