Possible HDD problem? Running slow and freezing...

Hey everyone,

Was wondering if anyone could help out. A friend of mine has a problem with his Xbox.

It takes a long time to load everything, even the dashboard. And when playing games such as Skyrim it's very jumpy and sometimes freezes, we think it might be the hard drive as he has had this problem before and had his Xbox sent off for repairs only for the problem to return. Tried clearing system cache and doesn't do anything.

If anyone could confirm what is wrong, we'd really appreciate it. And also, what can we do to fix it without losing the hard drive memory?

Thanks in advance!

Kurt.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 11 Applies to:

Has he tried clearing the hard drive cache? http://support.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-360/troubleshoot/hardware/clear-system-cache

If that makes no difference try running the Xbox without the hard drive attached.  They will need a USB Flash drive with at least 1GB of free space and configured for Xbox storage if they want full dashboard functionality.  Is it slow? Do games freeze now?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I recently went through what sounds like this kind of issue on my Xbox slim with my HDD.  It started out exactly how you are describing and then it changed into a bigger issue.  After it started freezing several times during game play, it then started to freeze right as the dashboard was loading upon start up.  I contacted XBOX support on multiple occasions during this time to work on troubleshooting the issue.  We tried several things, but then discussion changed toward the fact that the issue may be directly related to the HDD possibly being corrupted.  I'm not saying that yours is, but it may be something to pay close attention to.  I ended up having to use another drive configured for the Xbox to transfer some game saves and such and then had to purchase a new HDD.  Even after wiping everything off the old HDD and reformatting, it still would not work to boot up.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, that sounds quite similar... Not good news, well thanks for you help anyway! We'll see how it goes!

Sorry this didn't help.