Possible fix for recent Xbox Live connection issues.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but it seems to have fixed the problems I've been having the last few days. Xbox Live has been disconnecting frequently and sometimes not connecting at all. Troubleshooting indicated that this was not an ISP or router issue.

Anyway, I was testing my network on the Xbox to little success (couldn't connect to Live). I noticed that there was an option to manually configure the network. I choose to change the DNS settings from Automatic to Manual. Research online led me to use 208.67.222.222 as my Primary/Preferred DNS address. I made the change, tested again, and huzzah! Success! Everything seems to work as it did prior to the recent system update.

Anyway, it's worth a shot for some of you having the same problem with inconsistent Xbox Live service.

Cheers.

Good Smeagol

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

bumping this for later, I can't try it from work.  If it does work it means that dns entries were changed and I guess some ISPs/regions haven't updated.  Switching to opendns would fix that -- anything official from Microsoft yet?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Nothing official yet, I think. All I know is that I'm streaming some Last.fm consistently since I made the change. I suggest giving it a shot. Might just have been a unique situation from me, but give it a go.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm bumping this because so many people still seem to be having a problem today. Try my suggestion and post your results here (success or not).

Sorry this didn't help.