Possible debris problem??

It all when I received a brand new copy of Modern Warfare 2 as a Christmas gift a few years back. When I started playing multi-player the disc stopped working and the console could not read the disc. This was very strange to me because I'm very careful with my console, and I'm also careful with my discs and keep them fingerprint and scratch free. I then ejected the disc from my console and looked on the back of the disc to find tape like debris on it.

This was rather unsettling for me because there was also the possibility that it spread into my console. I soon found out for sure later when I decided to play Battlefield then check the back of the disc where I then found the same debris which originated from the defective Modern Warfare 2 disc. A week later I replaced the MW2 disc with a new one, cleaned the small amount of debris off my Bad Company 2 disc and called it good. I had never encountered the issue again.... Until now.

February 22, 2013, I just inserted the Doom 3 BFG edition game (which I also received as a Christmas gift from another relative who purchased it brand new from wall-mart.) only to encounter the same problem. There was debris on the back of the disc. Was it the same debris from the MW2 disc that was just floating around in my console or did it come from the Doom 3 disc?? I'm a desperate gamer in need here.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hello,

When you eject the DVD tray is there anything stuck to the bottom of the tray?  Just wondering cause if there was let say tape on the MW2 disk way back when and as it spun some of it was scrapped off by the slot opening in the tray.  Some could be stuck at the bottom which is being tossed back up onto other DVD's as they spin. It cant really be anywhere else because that side of the disk is only read by the laser and never touches anything, while the outer edge is spun by a little wheel, or should be.

The only other thing, I wanna ask is, is the debris you speak of sticky like tap?  or just a thin film of plastic?  Because if its a thin film, it might actually be part of the DVD being stripped away at by a sharp edge in the tray or metal sticking up inside the machine, but I assume your disks are not scratched or anything.  (DO NOT OPEN THE XBOX TO FIND OUT).. It is possible to slice away thin layers on a DVD and I mean like 0.001mm layers of the DVD without making it noticeable on the bottom.  Just observe the tray when ejected for any abnormally sticking up edges, you wont be able to see inside the Xbox..

If it is indeed tape then forget the above, eventually it will all come out as more disks spin in the system, I wouldn't recommend using something like air spray as that might push it in farther and land on some wiring/circuts that could start a fire.

Only solution, would be to ship it in for a cleaning if you feel it needs some... Alternatively, you can install the games so it doesn't use the DVD drive at all, after it loads at the start and then you wont get the disk errors.

Hope this helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It's thin plastic film. And thank you for your time. Oh and one question, How much does cleaning cost??

Sorry this didn't help.

I would assume its probably covered under the same cost as the repair, which I believe if out of warranty is $123, otherwise your console would be free if its still covered.  The best thing to do would be call into support, and talk to a service technician about an Xbox cleaning, maybe there is a separate service, that doesn't cost so much as your Xbox really isn't broken. They will also tell you if the warranty is still active or you can do that yourself by checking on myservice.xbox.com/.../Welcome.aspx  and registering your Xbox if you have not.

1-800-4MY-XBOX  if your located inside the US and Canada, if not, the manual that came with your Xbox should have your countries support number located within it.

If you can install you games though and don't mind doing so for every game, it may cut back on the need to send it into repair, if your not looking to spend whatever is needed to have it cleaned(providing it out of warranty)

Sorry this didn't help.