Plugging in USB Controller (Charge and Play) Kills XBOX 360 S Power

Hi all;

I bought a new XBOX 360 S in Nov 2012 at Game Stop, part of the Holiday Bundle Deal with Skyrim, Forza, and COD or Battlefield (forget which), to replace my aging near-first generation "screamin' PSU" XBOX.

All was great initially, but then a month or so ago it started having issues powering on.  I quickly figured out that if I pulled the power out of the power brick (not the XBOX, but the cable that goes from wall to power brick), let the fans stop, and then plugged it back in, it would work again for several days.  Then same issue would then reoccur, and rinse/repeat.

As of the other day, the charge and play controller was no longer charged nor would the XBOX power on.  Grrrr.  

I finally got a chance to troubleshoot tonight and narrowed down the following:

• Unplugging all USB controllers from the front USB ports and resetting the power brick, the XBOX powers on without issue;
  • Plugging in a USB connector/charging cable (I have several and tried them all) kills the power brick light, and obviously, the XBOX does not power on, ;
  • Plugging in the controller with any cable to my PC (Windows 7), it's not recognized by Windows, nor does it power on or flash green lights at all;
  • Using standard AA batteries in the controller(s), all works fine;
So, all of that noted, it appears to be either the cable or battery pack, or maybe both.  I bought new charger cables from a local GameStop a month or two ago as the controller was throwing random "reconnect controller" errors even when plugged in, and the red charging light on the cable/controller connector wouldn't stay on consistently.  Which sorta narrows it down to the controller or battery pack I'd think, right?
Any ideas, things to try, or just try to get a new one via warranty?  Are controllers even warrantied the same as the console or I have to buy a new one?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

[quote user="tekmono"]Plugging in a USB connector/charging cable (I have several and tried them all) kills the power brick light, and obviously, the XBOX does not power on,[/quote]If they're all doing it, the console itself is faulty.[quote]Plugging in the controller with any cable to my PC (Windows 7), it's not recognized by Windows, nor does it power on or flash green lights at all;[/quote]There are a couple issues there...

Later model controllers (like, Halo 4 console controllers) have a hardware ID that the existing drivers do not recognize. They should show up, but with a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager. They won't charge. Note that even when "working", all you're going to get is charging from the PC. The P&C cable doesn't carry data.[quote]Any ideas, things to try, or just try to get a new one via warranty?[/quote]I would verify first that your console works fine with USB flash drives or USB HDDs attached to the front USB ports. If so, I would forgo using P&C altogether and switch to a few sets of AA rechargeable batteries and a AA recharger.[quote]Are controllers even warrantied the same as the console or I have to buy a new one?[/quote]Accessories have a 90 day warranty.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ok, got busy with other stuff, but finally got a chance to plug in a USB drive last night, and the XBOX saw it fine.  Additionally, if using AA batteries with the controllers, no issues.

So, it seems to be a P&C issue I guess.  Since it's past 90 days, I'm SOL unless I just buy new controllers?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.