Please help me! I'm trapped inside the wrong gamertag.

Hi, I am posting here as a last resort. I have spent well over 26 hours on the phone with XBOX live, numerous emails with live.com (when that was actually an option) and have posted in the support forum at live.com (with no reply). My gamertag that I established in 2005 somehow has gone into limbo and was replaced with this one (marketingboot17). No one has been able to help me correct this problem, which in my eyes is a simple software change in a database somewhere. I have all the credentials to prove that I am the owner of the gamertag and live.com account, but no one can link them together? I guess I'm having a hard time believing that a company that founded itself on software can not help me with this simple software issue! There has to be someone out there that can help, please! Any assistance will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

What have the Support Team on the phone said about this?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

They confirm that all my information is correct and then inform me there is nothing they can do due to the fact that there is no secret question against my gamertag in question. It's a catch 22, obviously there will be no secret question if it's not linked to my live account! At that point in the flow chart they try and pass me off to live.com which is pointless. I have even requested to just delete MY gamertag so that I can reclaim it and start over, but that is not an option. At this point the best answer I've got is wait 7 years until it drops out of the system due to inactivity?????

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you play on live with the current gamertag you have? Looks like a randomly selected gamertag you get when you make a new account.

Sorry this didn't help.

I haven't tried but I'm pretty sure I can. I honestly don't want to even bother though. It's not my real gamertag. And even all of their records show that the other one is mine and that I established it back in 2005. It's a name I have been using for online games and other online activities since 1990! I want it back! Here's a perfect analogy.... If you had the same phone number for 20 years and somehow it was taken away from you would you expect the phone company to get it back, or refer you to an online forum that no one has replied to (I'm speaking about the live.com forum). I'm sorry, but this whole situation is really pathetic. I have worked for the phone company doing software for over 15 years and there is no way we could ever think about leaving a "trouble" in the way I was left.If we dont know how to fix something we hand it off to our next level of support, and so on and so on. Unfortunately the flowchart that the XBOX LIVE people are working off of and the answer I provide (the honest ones) stop me in my tracks every time. There has to be someone that can get in touch with an indiviual that has access to the correct database, but after countless hours on the phone I'm beginning to doubt that. I cant get past the first tier of support and not even the supervisors can assist me.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello again Xbox people! I guess my next question is.... Is there anyone on this forum that might have the power to somehow escalate my issue to a higher level of support? Or am I pretty much limited to suggestions here? MY thread at live.com has been answered, but they are referring me back to xbox live. It's a nasty loop with no outcome! Here's my thread over at live.com.

windowslivehelp.com/thread.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there - it looks like the LIVE support team is helping you further, correct?

Sorry this didn't help.

I wish I could give you a realistic answer to that question. They have been responding to the thread, but I've yet to see that the real trouble is understood. If I move even the tiniest step forward I'll update, but at the moment I would still have to say the answer is no. And now it's time to call xbox live support again based on the last thing Live instructed me to do. This will end me up back at the live.com forum, But at least I'm following instructions, and whats another hour of my time? :)

Sorry this didn't help.

I was wrong, not one hour but two hours and forty minutes this time. But... I believe this time I may have made it past a roadblock that I've been stuck at for a few years. I was passed off to a supervisor after an hour and half. This particular supervisor has done something none have ever done or even tried to do in the past. (THANK YOU so much Ed, you really did an outstanding job!). After 2:23 minutes in he got corprate involved and my trouble is now where I believe and hope it needs to be. I should be recieving a call within 72 hours to see if I have any possiblilty of resolving my trouble. If anyone cares I'd be glad to update my situation.

Sorry this didn't help.

Oops, that was me with the wrong live id. Too many have been created to try and get this fixed to keep track of. Anyways.... I'll update if there's any progress. (and probably complain if there's none :D)

Sorry this didn't help.

Ha, understandable. :) Please do keep us updated, we'd like to follow along on this case. :)

Sorry this didn't help.