Playfire website help.

Hello! I was just wondering, my friend invited me to this community website for gamers called Playfire.com. Everything seems pretty legit, but when i try to make an account, it asks me to sign in with my xbox live info. I'm kinda skeptical about this.. but it says it's to retrieve my friendslist & i quote " 

How does it work? 

Use our secure HTTPS form to log in to Xbox Live and we'll retrieve your friends list. From there you can pick who you want to follow.

None of your personal details are ever saved.

Playfire is an Xbox Community Developer. "

I just want to make sure. I <3 this account & put many years of work into it.  

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 28 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hey RiP x APHEX,

My name is Kieran and I'm one of the creators of Playfire. We're a social networking website for gamers where you can show off your games/achievements, follow what all of your friends are playing, and see which hot games are coming out.

Naturally it's really important to have friends on the site, so we created a simple tool to search for which XBL friends are already here and invite them if they're not. Clearly one of your friends wanted you on the site so invited you!

The whole website is completely secure, and we're an official Xbox Community Developer. None of your details are ever saved at any point in the process. Hope that clears up any confusion!

If you have any more questions you can email me directly on kieran at playfire dot com and I'll be happy to help answer anything you're curious about.

Thanks,

Kieran

http://www.playfire.com/rebon

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Kieran, I see you answering numerous questions, but you havent answered one very specific question. Why do you need our login info? Every other tracking site I've ever seen only needs your gamertag. So why the need for our credentials? I can't think of one reason why you would need to see our login. And I'm especially concerned for those customers who enter their credit card info into them. In other words, this sounds very suspect, and seeing forum moderators telling us not to give out that info doesn't really help your cause.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Rebonuk"]The whole website is completely secure, and we're an official Xbox Community Developer.[/quote]That does not give you the right to hijack people's gamertags to send out messages with reserved profiles for the recipient of that message.  The only way to gain access to the profile given to you is to give you my WLID and password.  This is something you have NO RIGHTS to ask me for.  If I asked someone else for their WLID, like you are doing, I would be both permanently console and account banned from Xbox Live...and rightfully so.

[quote]None of your details are ever saved at any point in the process. Hope that clears up any confusion![/quote]
No, it hasn't cleared up any confusion for me.  In fact it begs another question.  If  "none of your details are ever saved at any point in the process.", how do you use the Xbox Live message system to send out messages from subscribers accounts?  The only way you could do that is by having access to something that you claim you never save.

[quote]If you don't want to login to Live just sign up normally at www.playfire.com.[/quote]
Okay, let's try that, shall we....

Step 1: "Which of these platform do you have?"

• Okay, so I click "X360", "PS3", and "PC", then click next....

Step 2 "Enter Handles"

• Okay, so I'll my XBL Gamertag, my PSN ID, and my Steam ID, then click next....

Hmmm....My PSN ID was successful.  My Steam ID was successful.  But my Xbox Live Gamertag was given a "Error! Failed to get your Xbox Live games & achievements.  Please retry.".  I wonder why that is?  Is it because my XBL gamertag already has a reserved page on your site, and the only way I will be able to access that reserved page is to give your site information you have no rights to ask for?

[quote]If you want to claim the profile that your friends made for you, you need to verify that you're the gamertag owner. This is because people kept taking other people's profile when we didn't have vertification.[/quote] 
I'm sure nobody would dispute your desire to "verify" somebodies ownership of a gamertag.  I have no problem with you wanting a verification.  It's the method of verification you are using that is the problem here.  There are other less intrusive methods of verifying ownership of a gamertag, so why are you using this method?

[quote]If you want to ask any more Qs you can email me directly on kieran at playfire com if you want.[/quote]
No, I will ask my questions here.  I want to answers give to be on public display, not through email correspondence. 

Now I am not suggesting in any way that your site is malicious, or has any malicious intentions.  I am simply stating that asking for the information that you are asking for is wrong, and you should stop immediately.

Sorry this didn't help.

That site is incredibly shady. Web search it and you'll find stories about it.

I also got a big fat warning about the site's security certificate when I tried to check on my phone after getting spammed by thier messages. They use your WLID log in to send spam to other users, which also compromises your account.

Sorry this didn't help.

@ Minute Man, i'm a user of the site, have been for a couple of years now. Lately, people have been leaving in droves because of worry that their xbox live accounts were being breached. Their biggest reason for thinking that is because they are mysteriously spamming their friends list with invites from Playfire after signing up. Me, being a long time member, was confused by this, so i decided to look into this myself and i decided to test that link of yours. This is what i got:

+ You have to enter in you WLID password - thats weird. If anything, Playfire should redirect you to xbox.com to enter it in. I fully trust the team over at PF, since its a small team of respectable people, but the larger majority of people don't know that and will definitely be creeped out by that.

+ Since i had an account i mistakenly made awhile ago, i enter it in my username and password, then proceed to the next step

+ The next step was this: http://tinyurl.com/8a6jjzw - This is the step a lot of people seem to be missing. They go to finish and spam their entire friends list with invites, instead of manually editing who to send the invite to.

Now, i'm not about to say its the users fault because Playfire needs to better communicate whats about to happen after you sign up. But i just want to clarify, Playfire is not hacking into your data and using it maliciously.

To further prove this:

(www.wired.co.uk/.../network-gamer)

(techcrunch.com/.../confirmed-playfire-gaming-social-network-secures-2-1m-series-a)

- I doubt a malicious site would be backed by such sites.

And if you still want to avoid entering your WLID and Pass (i don't blame you), i would start here: https://www.playfire.com/ - From here, you only need to choose the system you game on, enter you Gamertags, and it'll sync you achievements automatically, no passwords required.

I hope that helped.

Also, the person that was commenting before was a developer of the site - https://www.playfire.com/Rebon

Sorry this didn't help.

Playfire is powered by xbox live.

Sorry this didn't help.

how do i claim the account my friend made for me i put my xbox live password in and it didn't work

Sorry this didn't help.

@BIGWIG

If you don't want to login to Live just sign up normally at www.playfire.com. If you want to claim the profile that your friends made for you, you need to verify that you're the gamertag owner. This is because people kept taking other people's profile when we didn't have vertification.

Hope this clears this up. If you want to ask any more Qs you can email me directly on kieran at playfire com if you want.

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't seem to be able to sync my xbox live account to my playfire one.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

It does seem legit, apparently the site has been running since 2007.

It has it's own entry on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playfire, and its own Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/#!/playfire

It looks like it is the same sort of site that Raptr is.

I would personally say that this site is fine. However, if you are not 100% certain, do not give them your details

If it means anything, i'm signing up to it just now.

Sorry this didn't help.