play and charge kit not charging?

I bought a official rechargeable battery pack/play and charge kit shortly after getting my 360. Granted I have had the thing for 5-6 years now.

I have bought new controllers and battery packs since then but now every time I plug the charge kit in to the control it goes red (charging) for about 10 seconds and then just turns green (to state fully charged) but obviously the battery is not charged and when I disconnect the cable the control turns off. 

I have tried leaving in for a while but the same thing happens.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 58 Applies to:

All rechargeable batteries will eventually reach the end of their lifespan and fail to hold a charge.  Time to replace them.  The official XBox battery packs do seem to last longer than the third party ones.  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ah ok, I was wondering if the actual plug and charge may be broken? as in the actual cable? I only bought a new battery pack around two months ago...

Sorry this didn't help.

I wouldn't think that the actual "cable" itself was the problem as your controller seems to recognize that you have it plugged in, ie. the light on the dongle changes from red to green, etc..

If you only bought it two months ago, you may want to try contacting the retailer you purchased it from and see if they will offer a replacement or exchange.  Hardware generally seems to have a ninety day warranty and you may find that they are willing to help you out.  Also, for your own curiosity, you may want to do a little research on which type of rechargeable batteries last the longest as the chemical make-up of the battery itself can have a significant effect on their lifespan ie. Nickel-Cadmium, Nickel-Metal Hydride, Lithium-Ion, etc..

Sorry this didn't help.

You can try recovering the pack by plugging in the cable, then unplugging it after the light goes green. Do this repeatedly (10-40 times) and eventually the light may go orange and stay like that for a while.

That's the best you can try at this point. If it doesn't work, buy a charger and a four pack of  slow discharge rechargeable batteries.

Sorry this didn't help.