Im looking into purchasing an LG 50" Plasma TV (50PV450) upgrading from an ancient 32" sony tube TV. although im an avid gamer and do many marathon gaming sprees weekly some days anywhere from 4-15 hours. and i also love watching movies. now i have a few question to people who are experience with plasma TV's.
1) Is burn in still an issue, im hearing alot that it seems to be almost completely gone. granted ive head there are alot of "ghosting" problems now and you have to run some sort of grey staticy screen to "wipe" it. any experiences?
2) The lag... now i know that there is supposed to be almost no lag with plasma, but im a HUGE guitar hero/rock band fan, so ANY lag is nearly unplayable, and the calibration settings never feel right. however i have a 60" LCD tv aswell, when i use the "p" settings (ie, 720p, 1080p) there is unbareable lag, however if i switch the xbox resolution to something that doesnt have a "p" in it, such as 1040x768 or 1680x1050 there is no lag what so ever, its like im playing on the tube TV. so this is really 2 questions
a. What is the lag like on a Plasma TV (specificly for games like guitar hero)
b. are the resolution settings such as 1680x1050 possible on a plasma through HDMI?
3. The "soap opera" effect. on our 60" LCD we have this terrible "tru motion" stuff. and imo, i hate it, it ruins movies/tv and makes everything unwatchable so i ALWAYS turn it off. now i see that most plasmas are at 600hz so they dont need this tru motion stuff, but does it still have the soap opera effect? and can it be turned off. or does it just look like a normal tv, this one is a big purchasing point for me.
4. I've heard of heating issues. and since this tv will obviously be on for long periods of time, is this really that much of an issue or does it even really burn that much hotter than an LCD?
5. Lifespan. how long do these things last for? ive heard anywhere from 20,000-100,000 hrs to half life.
Any help is greatly apreciated!!