Plasma or LED?

I'm debating between a 60 inch LG Plasma or a 60 inch Sharp Aquos LED and both are full 1080p HD. Does anyone know if a plasma tv is good for gaming? Also if you were to get one of these tv's which one would you buy?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 19 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It may be good for gaming but are they still unrepairable?  I know at one time, they weren't.  When the salesman told me that, it stopped me from getting one. 

I bought a LG LED and the menu buttons on the TV seem to cross up and the TV goes hay wire... Of course I had a warrenty and its all fixed now... Plasma vs LED... I like LED... just preference and I think Sharp has R,G,B,Y vs LG R,G,B....

I'd say LED dont know the specs other than LED uses way less power.

LED 100% all the way. LED is for Light Emanating Diode. Those little plastic "bulbs" that can't burn out from the 80's. Tech has come a long way and LED's will practically last forever (much longer than any of us). It's the Power Supply and other Items on the HDTV that aren't going to last as long.

Besides the above, you'll get a HDTV that's lighter and much slimmer than any other type available. Just look at the price difference between a LED HDTV and any other type and it will be plain to see "why".

Thanks for the replies guys.  

You should go and read up on the topic at the avs forum, Its the best forum i have found for anything audio/video.

Windows 10, Gigabyte G1 GTX 970, i7 4790k, Corsair H100i, ASrock z97 extreme 4, SeaSonic x series 85

[quote user="LostKauz"]

LED 100% all the way. LED is for Light Emanating Diode. Those little plastic "bulbs" that can't burn out from the 80's. Tech has come a long way and LED's will practically last forever (much longer than any of us). It's the Power Supply and other Items on the HDTV that aren't going to last as long.

Besides the above, you'll get a HDTV that's lighter and much slimmer than any other type available. Just look at the price difference between a LED HDTV and any other type and it will be plain to see "why".

[/quote]someone told me the same thing....I just got a 32in panasonic over a plasma the day before yesterday because the price difference was massive.  I must say , its has a very crisp picture and glad I got it.

[quote user="NIGHTHAWK1024"]Does anyone know if a plasma tv is good for gaming?[/quote]Plasmas are the best flat display option for gaming. They have the fastest response time and the best contrast (good for dark games). They also use the most power of the flat display options. The brighter the scene, the more power they use. My relative has a two year old Panasonic 42" display. The Today show burns over 400w with its bright set. CSI uses around 220w.

Plasmas suffer from "burn-in". Static images (like HUDs) will leave an after-image. This was a problem with early generation displays, but current day displays have built-in systems to clearn off burned in images relatively quickly.

LCDs have a slower response time relative to plasma displays. They can also suffer from "ghosting" - after images of the previous frame still being visible as the new frame is being displayed. They have lower overall power usage as their backlighting is a fixed quantity.

Practically, either one is fine. Modern day LCD TVs, be they LED or LCD, will provide a perfectly acceptable 2D gaming experience. For 3D gaming, you'll want to test each option out as they can vary widely in ghosting and 3D effect.[quote]Also if you were to get one of these tv's which one would you buy?[/quote]Eh, depends. Which LG? For Plasma I'd go with Panasonic's VT30, GT30, or ST30 series. If you're going to go Plasma, might as well go with the company that hired all of Pioneer's TV engineers.

Depends on the type of LED\LCD TV. They only use LED for back lighting and one of the many LCD panel types for your pixels. Some just have a small white array with a diffuser, better ones have larger arrays that vary back lighting in specific areas for better contrast, and the very best have color LED arrays as back lighting for improved contrast and color.

-

Plasma has come a long way and burn in and such are basically nonexistent on new models. Contrast, pixel response time, and viewing angles are normally far better than LCD and LED\LCD displays.

-

Can't really go wrong with either on the higher end and getting it professionally calibrated will really make sure you get the best picture for your money.

LED all the way.  Plasma isn't the best tech.  While burn in isn't much of an issue... but it's still possible. There are ton of other issues too.  RF interference, IR interference, uses about twice as much electricity as an LED, scaling issues, etc.