Physical migration from one country to another

Almost a year ago I moved from the Netherlands to Germany. I did not have any language problems ('System settings' > 'Console settings' > 'Language and local' set to 'English' and 'Netherlands') with my Xbox or on Xbox.com. When purchasing stuff either via Xbox.com (online) or the Marketplace (console) everything was in English.

Then the new update came (still very nice though) and that is when I started having LOCALISATION problems. Whereas purchases or the screens would partially be in English and partially in Dutch? I then changed everything on Xbox ('System settings' > 'Console settings' > 'Language and local' set to 'English' and 'United Kingdom'), as well as on Hotmail. Which is obviously complete bollocks to do, because my locale should be 'Germany'.

Now today, I was managing my account (XBOX > Profile page > 'Account Management' > 'Manage Account' > 'Your Information' > 'Billing Information'), as I wanted to upgrade my Silver (Free) back to a Gold account. As I was updating my address (via controller) and then saving ('Done') my Xbox actually had the nerve to tell me that my postal code is incorrect (doesn't match my region); even changing the 'locale' to 'Germany' did not do the trick!

As I already have problems with languages on Xbox.com (online) and the Marketplace (console), I am reluctant to set my region to 'Germany' as then probably everything will be 'German' as this influences the language.

Why can't Region be split into a both region (where you live) and spoken language (the language in which you want your legal stuff and website to be seen in)? Because now I cannot change my Billing Information, because then I will run the risk of not being able to read anything anymore?!

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Strictly speaking, your physical region should match your billing region (as per our Terms of Use) so this issue shouldn't happen. If you are now living in Germany, we suggest you create a new German account to prevent any issues in the future. Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Strictly speaking you might be right, but strictly speaking Xbox should present content (My Account on Xbox.com or Legal Information (Terms of Use, Privacy Policy)) in the language I want (English), and not based on the region I am in!

So therefore your answer does NOT solve a problem that was introduced by Xbox, after implementing the new Xbox GUI (online and console), becuase before it was working perfectly.

And I wouldn't mind to change to my region, but with the language issues that we'll be running into, I cannot do this; as you require me to read legal things, you should also represent those in a language that is understandable for me. For this reason I am still setup as Dutch, as I understand that, as well as English; German would be an issue, as I won't be able to agree to any legal documents.

The other thing is, what do you mean with a new account?

Does this mean an Xbox account? An Windows Live ID account?

Will I still be able to use my Dutch Credit Card (the iTunes store for example doesn't, on the basis it is a card at a Dutch bank)?

Why can't I migrate my account from Region: the Nehterlands Language: English (oh this was changed by Microsfot to Dutch????) to Region: Germany and Language: English?

Sorry this didn't help.

He does mean a new Xbox LIVE account. I do not believe you would be able to use an out of region credit card. And, region migration is not supported at this time for all except emerging markets.

Sorry this didn't help.

But then what will happen with my current Xbox LIVE account ie. my username (Zoeper), my GS (12650), my Microsoft Points, my purchases DLC's and props, my Xbox GOLD subscription?

Can that new Xbox LIVE account be connected to my current Windows Live ID?

Sorry this didn't help.

To answer your last question, you can use your old WLID on your new account, but it will not carry over with it any previous purchases, licenses, or achievements. Creating a new account is exactly what it sounds like. If you wish to re-use this WLID, simply change the WLID of this GT to something else, thus freeing up the original WLID (forums.xbox.com/.../19163.aspx)

Sorry this didn't help.

I have to admit, its a bit selfish and silly for XBOX to be acting in this manner. I have had an XBOX live account for TEN years - (The very first day of launch in USA) and have only let my account go for one year...while I set up in another country to live (I married a Taiwanese girl and she wanted to live here)

Thinking that this wouldn't be a problem being MICROSOFT is an International company - I brought my XBOX with me with everything that I have downloaded or achieved attached to my account.

For the most part, I don't have many problems - BUT sometimes when i try to download a new demo or even a game on demand I get "This is not available for your region"

WHY>>?

Also, GAMES that are not NTSC "Region" coded sometimes will or will NOT play in my system (I have to go play-asia every time I want a game now to see if it will "Play" in my system)

Now - I could understand if ONLY NTSC games would play in my American system...but that is not the case - some NTSC-J games will play, which leads me to believe that region coding is a silly and moot thing to do these days.

Why is there region coding on some games and not others?

Now, I'm sure that there is a simple answer to my problems...to go out and buy another system that is NTSC-J and all of my problems will be solved, right? Well, if I do that then I have to start another XBOX - Live account for that system because the one I've had for the past ten years will no longer be valid on this new system.

Not to mention that I would have two XBOX's which to me is redundant.

So what does that say for the average consumer?

Go and purchase another companies system that does not have region-coded specific games.

I mean, how ridiculous is it to have region specific games now with the Internet and the closeness of the countries - we basically live in a unified world now, why not just do away with dated methods?

Sorry this didn't help.

generally you want to buy games from your actual region ntsc j is physically different and electronically then ntsc there is certain things and licensing aggreements along with copyright and distibution rights along with international laws that control how content and disks are distibuted

if you want to talk about content laws you are welcome to contact your local governing body

certain content are not always allowed in all regions

the rules are not the same in every single region

blackops world at war are examples of why regional locks are there

Sorry this didn't help.

I understand Zoeper & Reese's issues. I live in Spain, have a Spanish CC, but English is my native language. I don't want content in Spanish (hence Zune is useless), and I want to be able to use the full Kinect functionality (seems I have to live in the US or UK to speak English, or live in Mexico to speak Spanish!!!). It's incredibly frustrating, and a pity for Microsoft as it means lost revenue, however, I think it is a general problem since I have similar content and language problems with Apple and Amazon. The responses from the Microsoft reps to the post from Zoeper are polite, but really what they are saying is "*** you, we don't care, and it's not worth the effort for us to address this problem properly". That said, I'd be delighted if I was wrong and Microsoft could explain how I can purchase content in Spain in English and use the full Kinect functionality (e.g., voice control).

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey climberdaif, I definitely understand your frustration. While you can change the language interface on your console, I'm afraid the language of content available to you through LIVE is tied to the region in which you have a LIVE account.

Sorry this didn't help.