P.C. or Nex-Gen Consoles?

Saving cash for one or the other? What should I buy? Pros and Cons? Facts please, not just opinions.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

A Pro about PC: Can be customized and upgraded to new best things as they come out. For example a better graphics card comes out you can buy it and switch it out with the old one.

A con about PC: High cost. My gaming PC set up cost me more than $5,000 for the PC itself plus all the equipment I got with it. You don't need to spend that much money but if you are really planning on getting into PC gaming I suggest you do invest in it.

It's hard to do a pro/con list when the specs for the next xbox console have not been released.

Xbox Ambassador | Xbox Forum Moderator | Xbox MVP

wait till ms announces the next xbox and see what it has , if it's what you want or don't want it'll be a easy decision to make.

[quote user="B4RevenantGamer"]

My gaming PC set up cost me more than $5,000 for the PC itself plus all the equipment I got with it. 

[/quote]
5k for a decent PC  :/  

Man did you get ripped off. You could of had a few decent PC's for that price. 

Both.

Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

[quote user="B4RevenantGamer"]A con about PC: High cost.[/quote]Higher initial cost than a console, certainly. However ongoing costs tend to be less.

Games tend to launch at $10 less than their console counterparts and of course the oft amazing Steam sales. In comparison to the 360 (and we can assume the same for the next Xbox) there is no need to pay an ongoing fee to play online or access third party content. You don't get ripped off on price if you want to add a larger hard drive to your machine.

In fact over their life time I'd say a PC and a console even out on price, with perhaps even a slight money saving edge to the PC if you are willing to build your own.

[quote user="DoWNwRD SPyRaL"]Man did you get ripped off. You could of had a few decent PC's for that price. [/quote]$5000, or over £3000, is an insane amount of money to spend on a gaming PC. Even if you want to 'future proof'.

My old PC had a Pentium-D 2.8ghz, a Geforce 8600GTS (256mb) and 2GB of RAM. Yet it lasted as a gaming machine, with settings being dialled down near the end I admit, for six years. It was still playing the games in at least the quality of what I was getting from my 360, better is some cases.

The PC I use for gaming at the moment has a 2.4ghz Pentium Core2Duo e6600 (overclocked to 3ghz), a Geforce GT640 (2gb) and 4gb of RAM. The motherboard (an Asrock Conroe1333 DVI/H) was given to me by a friend. The newest thing in there is a recently bought Corsair TX750 PSU. This set-up can play Tomb Raider on Ultra, or High with TressFX enabled.

Not bad for something that cost me £260 ($243). The hard drives, case, periperials, etc, all were carried over from my previous build. I bought a new power supply (the TX750) because I only had a 400w generic brand previously and thought I'd treat myself, it is the most expensive part in the PC at £100 ($152).

[quote user="DoWNwRD SPyRaL"]

[quote user="B4RevenantGamer"]

My gaming PC set up cost me more than $5,000 for the PC itself plus all the equipment I got with it. 

[/quote]
5k for a decent PC  :/  

Man did you get ripped off. You could of had a few decent PC's for that price. 

[/quote]

I never said it was just decent. It runs like a console with better graphics and more features and in some cases a faster frame rate.

After that I said plus all the equipment I got with it as in that price is including all of the other stuff that I bought to enhance the experience. As in the big screen, headphones, speakers for when I don't feel like wearing headphone, gaming mouse, gaming keyboard etc.

I will get the next gen console.

Maybe I will get a PC too but that depends. 

Work more/longer:  Buy both.

Concerning the PC cost, actually 5000$ is not really that far out.  With the way that some games are made, you need to seriously ramp up your system to get full FPS and other tasty perks.  

I personally like consoles better, but I would think it really depends on what you are looking for.  I mean, playing PC games is a lot different, even if it is the same title.  I gave up my computer after Warcraft and avoid it for games.  Rather do console meth for a while.