Paying with a 12 month pre-paid card

Hello,

Last month I decided to renew xbox live with a 12 month pre-paid card instead of my credit card. The service is being paid from the 12 month card and not the credit card. I would like to get the credit card off of my billing information. However, I can't remove the credit card from the system. The only option I have is to replace it with another credit card...Which I don't want to do.

What can I do?

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

You must keep at least one payment source on your account at all times. If you used a pre-paid card, you will not be charged.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Also, if auto-renewal is still turned on, you'll need to call support to have them turn it off or else it will try to charge your card when your year is up.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well auto renewal is off...I guess I just find it odd that you NEED a credit card attached to your account. Especially after what happened to the playstation network. I would just feel more safe paying with the 12 month pre-paid card and not have my credit card associated with the gamertag.

Thanks though

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Kev5890"]

Well auto renewal is off...I guess I just find it odd that you NEED a credit card attached to your account. Especially after what happened to the playstation network. I would just feel more safe paying with the 12 month pre-paid card and not have my credit card associated with the gamertag.

Thanks though

[/quote]

Hi there.

Just to clarify the point made earlier - "You must keep a valid credit/debit card associated to your account"... This is misinformation, so let me try to explain:

The only time a credit/debit card is "locked" to your account is when you purchase a subscription with it, even after you have automatic renewal turned off. Once that subscription (the one purchased with the card... not one redeemed by a pre-paid code) has come to an end you can then remove the card from your account.

"Summary" - If the credit/debit card is not linked to an active Gold subscription, you can add and remove it as many times as you like.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well...The one I purchased with the credit card should have been able to have been removed since May than? And I can't...so?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmmm.

Did you add a pre-paid card subscription after you deactivated automatic renewal, but before the previous subscription which was tied to your credit/debit card ended? If so, this may be the reason.

When you stack / add more xbox LIVE Gold time to your account, the LIVE system will run off the latest one you add (i.e. the last one). If you added a pre-paid Gold subscription to your account before the previous gold time expired (i.e. the time which was linked to your credit/debit card) then that time is still "active" it is just not in use at the moment. The remaining time will continue after the pre-paid gold time, redeemed with a code ends.

What you can try is reviewing your account management page here via xbox.com - Link - Be sure automatic renewal is off (the status of that will be shown in the box on the left hand side). From here, select "Manage Payment Options" and then click "Remove".

If you still receive an error message then wait untill your account has fully reverted back to silver, then go through the above process.

Sorry this didn't help.

I believe so, I know I didn't wait until I didn't have any service to put the pre paid card in. So basically, I have to wait until May 2012 to remove my credit card? Is there anyway to make the account silver and active the pre paid card?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, unfortunately that may be the case. Have you tried contacting the xbox support line? They should be able to remove the card via their system.

Sorry this didn't help.

Not yet, figured I would try here first.

Sorry this didn't help.

Give it a go and see what they say :)

Sorry this didn't help.