Parental control support needed.

My younger brother, in his infinite wisdom, created a new account on my 360 (original. As in, I got it when the xbox 360 was less than two months off the press) while I was on holiday (and by holiday, I mean living with my uncle for two months) using an e-mail account he created on the fly, never expecting to need it (he was using one of the free months that come with the xbox). He allegedly had threats of someone "hacking" him on xbox live and panicked so much that he instantly set up parental controls using that account, subsequently forgetting that password as well.

Here's where it gets better. At the end of his month of live, he decided to create another account (my xbox only ever had my account made on it, so it still had a few free family accounts left on it) only to find it was blocking him from doing so, requiring him to put in a code he's forgotten, and then asking his to reset that code with another password he'd also forgotten (apparently the answer to his favourite fictional character was a string of random letters - so that nobody can ever guess it. My brother is obviously a genius at creating codes, because even he can't crack them.). During his panic, he decided that he'd try and reformat his hard-drive (he'd kept using his hard-drive on my xbox, using my xbox only for the free live). Now no one even knows how to get back on to his account, nor how to undo his idiotic parental controls.

Is there any way I can get rid of the parental control? Maybe by factory restoring the console it'self (people on the internet have no idea what the difference between factory restoring an xbox and formatting it's hard-drive is, so every nasally teenager on the internet has now told me how to format my drive)? I don't care for the account, and knowing my brother, he probably used some month-long burner account or something else that I wish I'd never taught him about. I don't want to reset the password, I just want to have a fresh-out-the-box experience with the console it'self, add a few battle scars and dust.

TL;DR Brother set parental control and subsequently forgot how to human. How do I reset the entire xbox?

Question Info

Last updated October 14, 2018 Views 136 Applies to:

factory restoring should set your xbox back to the way it was when you frist got it with no passwords or any thing on it all you have to do is download your gamertag i had to do this my self just  dont forget your password for your gamertag

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

My question, very simplified, asks how you factory restore the 360. I know what will fix it, it's the way I do it that's the problem. Mind giving me more info?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found this in an older thread:

[quote user="elquietone"]

I assume your aware restoring to factory default, will delete all the
content from your hard drive that you have including downloads and
saves. It is recommended you make a transfer of them before you do
so(for at least the saves).

To reset to factory default, you first need to go to System
Settings > Console settings > System Info   and write down you
serial numbers.

Secondly check in family under the settings tab to make sure content controls are off.

Lastly, you will need to format each drive that is plugged into
the Xbox starting with the HDD. When you highlight HDD(located in
Storage, under System Settings), you will see the option to press Y,
this will present you with 4 other options one of which is format.  Upon
selecting format you will be prompted to enter the serial number you
were suppose to write down, and told that doing this will erase
everything. Once you've done that, its a good idea to also go into
network settings and disconnect any wireless connections you have
enabled.

Once this is all done, from the same menu (System Settings) you
will see at the bottom one option called Initial Setup, selecting that
will start the Xbox first load setup all over again.

I apologize if we are not allowed to tell users how to do this,
and as a result I assume this whole post will be deleted, if not, here's
how to do it.

Hope this is allowed and helps. :)

[/quote]

Source:  http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/7/p/478953/2322832.aspx#2322832

Credit:  https://live.xbox.com/en-US/Profile?Gamertag=elquietone

Sorry this didn't help.

I thank you for the informative answer, Jedi 117, but in your provided fix it tells me to "check in family under the settings tab to make sure content controls are off". The reason I'm formatting the xbox is /because/ I can't get the family controls off. Would you happen to have another method you know of, where-by I can do the same factory resetting, but bypassing the family controls?

Sorry this didn't help.

Bumping to try and get another response, hopefully from a proper support worker.

Here is a check list to consult while considering the answer (wish I didn't need this, because it makes me sound like a nob, but people have proved to need it):

I cannot change parental settings that block me from doing certain things.

I do not want to format my hard-drive (I have a freshly formatted one).

I wish to factory reset my system to get rid of the a fore mentioned parental settings.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi. I'm sorry that you haven't gotten a proper answer yet. The only way to do a factory reset on the console is to contact support. Once you've contacted them tell them you need to perform the factory reset procedure due to a parental control lockout. They will ask for the serial number on the console, and then they will provide you with directions on how to perform the reset. The reason for this is that different consoles have different reset codes, so they need to look up the one that your console uses via that serial number. I just had to do this recently for my console as well, but for an entirely different reason.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you very much, Mountain Dew! I was hoping not to have to spend hours on the phone, but I guess if it's the only way then I can truck on through.  

Thanks again!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey what if u take out ur hard drive and then factory reset will that work without having to delete and lose all of my  progress and games and acheivments stored on my hard drive ill try if u think it might work

Sorry this didn't help.