Parent account issue: Should this sort of thing be acceptable? (A problem and a rant-please fix this MS)

RANT

OK, so I am a bit frustrated. Frustrated at microsoft for making this horrible move, and frustrated at myself for being an idiot and not lying about my age. OK, I am under 18, 14 actually, however I do not see the need for microsoft to literally force users under this age to not even be able to accept the terms of service. I don't know what microsoft even takes me for. Am I some illiterate for being under the age of 18, who is incapable of accepting the terms of service (not like many read them anyway)? Should I be forced to stop using my xbox live account (which is quickly being wasted) just so i can get my parents to press one button for me? No. Is it my parents who got me xbox live? NO. It was me. Is it my parents who use xbox live? NO. IT IS ME. So WHY did you think that anyone over the age of 13 would honestly need a parents consent to accept terms of service? No other thing I have signed up for has done this, Itunes hasn't done this to me (although I have some other problems with it), steam hasn't done this to me, heck, if you updated your terms of service for hotmail, it isn't like hotmail would ask for an adult email, even though I said i was my age when I signed up for it! Why only xbox live. It is stupid and it causes SOOOOOO many problems! I mean really, as if my parents are going to put in their password for every little bloody thing which microsoft states i need a parent for! WHAT PARENT EVEN DOES THIS? My god, this is sooo freaking dumb. Like really dumb, it isn't even funny.

The problem

OK, so now that I have finished my rant, let me go onto my actual problem. OK, so since I was so Irritated that I couldn't click one single "I accept" button (Because apparently microsoft thinks I am incapable of doing so), I instead turned my attention to removing the parent account problem entirely. So I got my brother (who for some reason is my parent on xbox), and got him to remove me as a family member, so I don't have to get him every time I needed to do one little stupid thing. However, now it said I needed to make ANOTHER parent account, which you can imagine, made me bang my head against the wall (I seriously hope you are getting the message just how dumb this is microsoft). So I tried to use my own account details, and instead, just made my age 20 or something. Well, as you could imagine, my planned failed and microsoft knew EXACTLY what I was doing.  

"Oh no" said a precarious looking microsoft employee, as he stared at the everchanging piece of data on his computer screen, "Another kid is onto us, quick Gates, what shall we do?"

Bill smoked his pipe for a brief moment before removing it from his mouth, "We do what we always do my friend, spam his screen with 'Sorry, a child and parent cannot use the same Microsoft account'. That will give him a run for his money!"

And so he did, Bill kept his promise and continuously spammed my screen with "Sorry, a child and parent cannot use the same Microsoft account.". The thing is that now, I have given up. I no longer want to go on xbox live, i just want to play my freaking skyrim. But NOOO, I CANT EVEN EXIT THE SETUP SCREEN. I press the B button, and that same popup comes up once again. I press the Big X, and it says something like "You can't access xbox live" or something. The HELL IS THIS MICROSOFT! I know I can just turn it off manually, but this is seriously ridiculous if it has to come down to that.

Conclusion

Microsoft, just stop trying to close off your system, and make it open for everyone. It isn't your job to do any of this,nor are you even required to and in fact, many companies just take the smart move and just don't even try. And in most cases, they are right in doing so.  I am not saying this couldn't have worked if you tried to make it so that it could, you could have made it so that only the parent account can give a child account the privileges of a parent or whatever, and it could have worked. But the way it is implemented now, because you can't actually make yourself a parent or give yourself the privileges of a parent, it fails. Poorly. It makes me not want to get xbox live for the second year running, which I want to do. And makes you loose money.

To conclude, I just want to summarise my entire rant into one request. One simple, and straightforward request:

Give users the choice to be treated with the privileges of a parent account or not.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, I am willing to move it if people have any other places to put it, or even if you can get me in contact with microsoft directly so I can email them this.

That is all.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 123 Applies to:

Parental controls and everything related is a very simple process. If you're a child, it's a child account, and when you turn 18 you're now an adult. It's very, VERY simple! I just hope one day people stop lying about their ages on not only Xbox related things, but everything. :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The easiest solution is to have your brother add you back into the family account.

support.xbox.com/.../managing-family-members

Once you reach the age of 18 your account can be promoted to an adult account.

support.xbox.com/.../online-safety

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Skyarex,

If you're here for support with your account issue, I'm going to move your post to the Managing my Xbox LIVE account forum to give our community a chance to help you out with your account.

For a bit of clarification, our Terms of Use is a legal contract, which anyone under the age of 18 (in U.S.) is not able to enter into without parental consent.

Give the steps that Toxic Raven has provided for you here a shot.

Thanks! 

Sorry this didn't help.

Yo i wish i did that and made me over 18 bc now i cant even renew xbox live and i dont know what the parent account is.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there EXRO59,

If you would like to receive assistance on any Xbox Support related questions you may have, please feel free to create a new thread detailing what you're experiencing. This way is best for us to cater our support specifically to you. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.