Overheating

When my slim is on a table in open air in a room where the temperature is in the low 70s, overheating starts within 20 minutes of play unless I have a fan blowing on the console.  First, the sound starts to skip, then the picture starts skipping.  The Slim fan is running--there is a gentle breeze coming out of the top.

Q 1: is this normal?

Q2: If dust has clogged things up inside, what's the best way to clean it out?

Q3: Does the slim fan blow at one consistent speed? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

You can clean any dust that may have builded up into your console by using a vacuum nozzle and putting it up against the vents. This will help to clear out some dust. However, if your console is overheating under these conditions, than I suggest you have your console checked out to make sure everything is running properly.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Q1: Yes the slight brease is normal, the overheating in 20 minutes, is not.

Q2: Either what CUTwithanE said, or use some canned air to blow into the vents to get rid of some of that dust..

Q3: Yes, it does blow at a fairly constant speed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello.Sounds to me its gonna RROD and day now.The heat from the 360 cracks the chip on the motherboard..

You should call for support asap to get it packed and sent to get it fixed..

I have been threw this 2x and everything you said is what happend to me....

Happy holidays hope i helped.....

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually, I discovered that the power brick was overheating.  Once I got it fully out in the open, there have been no further problems...

Sorry this didn't help.

When I clean my console I take the vents off the bottom where the hard drive is at.

Spray it out with canned air, make sure the canned air is at room temp and you hold the can upright, it helps putting it at the edge of a table so it doesn't cause the moist air.

Clean out the fan and clean out the dust this way, clean both sides. Clean it from the end and clean it from the fan, giving it small sprays.

In the Low 70's the console shouldn't be heating up at all. If this continues then it may need a professional cleaning from a licensed Microsoft Store or even be sent in for cleaning. Though most of the cleaning could be done at home with a can of air, don't use an air compressor either because the pressure will destroy the consoles fan.

The Slim fan blows at different speeds, it all counts on how hot it is, slow is when the Console is running at a normal temp while fast is when it gets hot usually after an hour or two of gaming.

Sorry this didn't help.