Overheated power box

For the first day, things were going smoothly. I was just checking out all the features that was on the new xbox one, and watched a movie on Netflix. I started the Xbox up everytime by using the voice activation. When I got forza today, I had been playing and my xbox just turned off. No message or anything. Just shuts off midway. I checked the console, and it had been room temperature. I checked the Power Box and it was steaming hot. So I believe there is a function that turns it off when its too hot. But why does it get too hot when im playing games but doesnt get too hot and turn off when im watching movies. I guess my initial question is why is my xbox turning off randomly?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 60 Applies to:

Same thing happened to me. Take it back to the store for a replacement. The fan on the power supply (brick) has failed causing it to overheat and shut down, knocking your console out in the process. Mine would take about 3 minutes to cool down enough to boot back up and it would smell of burning plastic. Take it back immediately as it has failed.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Thezow, If the power cord or PSU becomes damaged in any way, stop using it immediately and contact Xbox Support for a replacement here - support.xbox.com/.../contact-us

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.