Out of service repair on original XBOX 360

I have a 360s and my original Xbox purchased on original release.  I don't know how many times my original was repaired in warranty (due to the frequent RROD problems these things frequently incurred) but now it is starting to just shut off every 15 minutes.  Is an out of service repair even suggested?  Should I just cut my losses and buy another 360s?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You might as well just get the X360 S. The system has been around for more then 5 years. It's going to keep breaking if your talking about the Original Model. IF the X360 S then you got a lemon one.

so what will Xbox do if I request a repair on this dinosaur?  Will they really charge me $100 and then refurbish the thing and send it back?  I think I could probably end up getting a 360s 4GB for $150.

You just answered your question. Just get the 360 S but the S model won't work with the original models HDD (Just leaving you a warning there). The 360 S is loads more reliable then the original model.

i would definitely buy a new slim rather than spend $100 on a repair as i could just break again with another issue in 6 months time.

it is also worth the few extra dollars to get the 250g version.

You should trade that system into GameStop ASAP let them deal with that dinosaur when it breaks down. Use that credit to buy yourself the S model. They won't give you to much for that system but at my GameStop right now they're giving an extra 25 bucks. Better to get something then nothing.

Yeah, just buy a new Xbox360 Slim Elite 250GB or 320GB Console, as the Slim Consoles are more reliable & are less likely to RROD...

There will a $100 or $120 fee applicable (Depending if you do it online or via tech support) if it's out of the Warranty Period..

I would also like to add, that it appears you have a Kinect (looking at your recently played games)... getting a Slim will eliminate the need for the power cable for the Kinect.  It might not be much, but I'm not a big fan of clutter and extra cables behind my TV.  (Maybe that's just me being OCD.)

The Power Supply for the Kinect, is only used because the USB ports can only handle around 30W or 6amp @ 5V & the Kinect uses more than the capable power output for the Consoles USB Interface etc... The AUX Port on the Xbox360 Slim has a dedicated power circuit for the Kinect & doesn't need the Kinect's Power Supply or USB Adapter..

One of the reasons why, it's good to upgrade to the Xbox360 Slim Elite >250GB, as the Power Circuit has been factory altered to stop RROD issues with the console & also uses the XCGPU Single Die Processors now & is more reliable than the previous Original consoles that had heat issues...

[quote user="NanoTechSoldier"]One of the reasons why, it's good to upgrade to the Xbox360 Slim Elite >250GB, as the Power Circuit has been factory altered to stop RROD issues with the console[/quote]This is gibberish[quote]& also uses the XCGPU Single Die Processors now & is more reliable than the previous Original consoles that had heat issues...[/quote]Each console iteration reduces power consumption. Reduced power consumption leads to less heat. Less heat leads to less heat-related failures. Every iteration of console has reduced power consumption. There's no reason to draw the line in the sand at the 360 S. Jaspers handle the heat generated just fine.

The 360S was built not to DISPLAY the previous red light indication of a failure. Seems it also helped produce a lot of suckers, who believe the if it doesn't display failure in the same way, then the problem is solved.

Though the issues have been reduced by new manufacturing processes, they still can fail.