Original Xbox or PS2?

I currently own a PS3 and an Xbox 360. I prefer the 360 over the PS3, and really only use the latter for Blu Ray movies. I've owned a PS2 Slim in the past, and I thought it was awesome! For sentimental reasons only, I was thinking of purchasing either an original Xbox(which I've never owned before) or another PS2 Slim. Anyways, my question is which do you prefer between the two? I've heard the Xbox has HD gaming capabilites? Then again, the PS2 has a larger selection of games, and is just more convenient and user friendly as a whole. Thoughts? 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 13 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The OX is 480p, so it won't be a HD choice for either console. For a more diverse and interesting range of games, I'd go for the PS2. However, if your tastes are more towards the Xbox, anyway, then the OX has some old gems that are still definitely worth playing.

I'd say Ps2. There are way more games to chose from on Ps2 such as the devil may cry series, fatal frame series, silent hills and many more. The 1st Xbox has some decent games as well and since you say you never owned one before then maybe  that be a better choice. I remember I had games like Otogi 1 and 2, Unreal championship, Phantasy Star Online, panzer dragon orta and a lot more. OX had some pretty fun games on that system especially with live added to them. You can still find Ps2 games at game stop used but they haven't carried the original Xbox games in a number of years. I doubt you would watch DVDs  on the original Xbox but if you choose to you need to buy a DVD playback kit as well. But there pretty cheap now a days.

[quote user="Murdock92"]For sentimental reasons only, I was thinking of purchasing either an original Xbox(which I've never owned before) or another PS2 Slim.[/quote]Why choose? They're both inexpensive used.

You may wish to review what titles you want on the original XBOX as the 360 has backwards compatablity.

The PS2 is no longer in production. You may want to pick up a used 20GB or 60GB PS3 instead. The PS2/PSX virtual memory card feature of the PS3 can save you a whole lot of money in PS2 memory cards.[quote user="Endgamez"]The OX is 480p, so it won't be a HD choice for either console.[/quote]Both the 360 and the PS2 have a few games that support a resolution higher than 480p. Neither has a scaler similar to the 360's.

I liked the ps2 better but i still like the xbox 360 over the ps3

I owned and enjoyed both systems.

Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

Enjoyed the PS2 much more.  However, this generation i've loved the Xbox more than the PS3.

I'd say forget those two consoles and get the Gamecube. It was the best of the last gen consoles and it ripped the PS2 to shreds.

-

Out of the two you mentioned get the Xbox. Some say it was the best graphically last Gen but in my opinion the Gamecube equaled it.

-

I was going to get the Xbox last Gen but when I saw that I could still play Sonic on the Cube and a game called Star Wars:Rogue Leader on the Cube that swung the Cube for me.

-

I have a PS2 and it is pure junk compared to those two consoles.

Rogue Squadron was better in my opinion, but the GC was a good console, especially if it had Metroid Prime in the tray, as was the original Xbox, i never owned a PS2.

I loved my xbox, ( still sits on my living room shelf next to the 360) ...it had a lot of good games. I loved it even more after i "did some things to it" ;)... Needless to say, if i were to sell it, i would get a lot more than most xboxes nowadays.... Ps2? Never had one, and never planned to.

transform

If Xbox would have still been Online Enabled and still had a community, I would say to get that but since its not, PS2 all the way just because of the library. Besides. Most of the good single player Xbox 1 games are already backwards compatible on the 360 or can be had on your PC even it its dated.